fun ear issues/vertigo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JGBrown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In the past 3 dives, I have had fun with my ears:D
At random, once on dive 1 at 15min into the dive, and at 83ft following a wall, I felt a slight pressure in one ear and my body decided I was in a washing machine, I could still see my buddy and the wall so I decided it was vertigo(never had it before, don't want it again) and not anything actually moving.
It was very unpleasant, I haven't felt anything that unsettling before. We immediately moved up, following a slow back and forth path up the wall to use up air and slowly change the pressure.
Next dive a week later was fine, and then my last dive with a couple of very awesome divers it happened again.
It was a very shallow dive, around 25-30ft the whole time, when it happened again, this time while at 14ft.
can a diffference in pressures between 1 ear and the other cause this?
it seems like my right ear always pops or somehow changes pressure at that point, I was equalizing pretty much continously the second time.
I do have my DAN card, should I give them a call:D

I'd like to see a local doctor about it, but my normal one is on holiday, and doesn't know anything about diving as far as I know.
I've stopped diving until I figure out whats going on. I was fully aware that if something had gone wrong while I was feeling the spinning sensation, I wouldn't have been able to do much about it, letting my buddy know and then moving up 5ft was the max of what I could handle while it was happening.

What you experienced sounds like alternobaric vertigo, where the two ears equalize at different rates, and the pressure imbalance gives you the sensation that you are spinning or whirling. Have you had any recent congestion, allergy symptoms, or a cold? Those can all predispose to this. If you have not had any symptoms on land, it is unlikely to be one of the other inner ear conditions that can produce vertigo, because they will do it anywhere.

Haven't had it on land, but twice since it happened I had a really sharp pain in my right ear and a bit of dizzyness for maybe 2 seconds before it vanished again.
not sure if its related but still, it was unpleasant and I'm feeling cautious about getting back in the water until I figure out what it is.
No colds or congestion since february.
No allergies.
Can I ask the doctors office for a reference to a doctor who looks at that kind of thing, or does DAN have a listing somewhere?
I haven't been to a doctor in as long as I can remember other then for stitches, mostly the walk-in clinic for that too.

Hi JG,

The fact that since the last dive you've experienced two brief episodes of intensely sharp pain in the R-ear accompanied by some dizziness is of concern.

I suspect that DAN's ENT referral list for Victoria Island, BC and vacinity is rather thin, but you can give them a try either by phone or email at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/index.asp.

You also could try contacting my acquantance Dr. Ed Kay, who practices in the Seattle region. He's excellent. Last I knew he was at (206) 242-6500/ekay@u.washington.edu.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Thank you, Seattle certainly isn't covered by my medical insurance, and I can't afford that kind of expense right now, but I'll try that link.
So I need to look for an ENT doctor?
I'll ask a doctor I hike with if he's knows any of those on the island, I'm sure there must be at least a few.
thanks again.
Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom