Fun encounter with a harbor seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edasque

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Great dives on Fran's boat this past Sunday had a fun encounter with a harbor seal. The seals jumped into the water when we anchored. Their heads were popping out of the waves when we splashed, one big bull and 4 females, probably. As we reached the bottom, around 20ft we saw a few swimming by, checking us out. They're very fast UW.

We swam towards the deeper end of the pool and in a canyon found a female gnawing on thick algae (after passing what seemed to be the decomposing corps of a pup).

We sat at a comfortable distance (probably 10 feet or so to watch her. She did her thing for a little while as we watched in silence. Eventually she came to me, I was the closes and did 3 fake 'head butts'. I didn't realize its jaw was open until my dive buddies told me so later. She was satisfied that I was appropriately scared but somewhat holding my ground and swam away.

My dive buddies tell me she followed us until the gravel at 70ft and lost interest, I didn't really notice. So did we, as we were hunting bugs and found one the size of one's upper body, biggest lobster I ever saw with claws larger than my head. A few feet further another huge lobster was hiding out, very big but not as big as the monster we had just seen.

54 minutes at 68ft. Water temperature went down to 55F and I was a little cold in my 7mm (had just ripped my dry suit neck seal).

Went to Salt island after that and swam around 30 ft of water. Good second dive.

Fran's boat as always was awesome, great service, conversations and snacks!

Oh and my dive buddy had to dive into the harbor with a bailout tank tucked in under his arm to fetch his steel tank that had rolled over. In his undies!

Oh and my dive buddy had to dive into the harbor with a bailout tank tucked in under his arm to fetch his steel tank that had rolled over. In his undies!
Ice cream headache...major shrinkage :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom