Fundies Course, NCWD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corigan

Contributor
Reaction score
So since wreckmaniac took a dump on itself today, guess we will start this over here.

Just trying to figure out what the course line-up is going to be this fall/winter. If the fundies course falls through and has to be pushed back to Nov/dec then I am probably going to just take a cavern/intro combo course sometime in Sept. or October.

My home is known as "The Christmas House" in these parts. We start decorating at the end of october to have it up by December 1st to show the whole month of december. My parents have been collecting christmas decorations for 40 years. Needless to say this is a huge task, and I am not looking forward to lugging 25+ christmas trees, full sized mangers, and all the other crap for indoors and outdoors that I will have to do. So Nov/Dec is a no-go to me. In December I have to play an elf and help Santa. We have a full size sleigh out in the yard and my father plays Santa Claus all December. All the neighbor kids and such come to him. Also many disabled/handicapped groups come to him as most of the mall santa's won't allow children with problems to sit on santa's lap. What a joke. So all the beautiful mentally retarded childen and handicapped children come out to us so they can still have their experience with santa. We have thousands of pictures of smiling children finally being able to sit on santa's lap. We also don't charge anything for our display. The gratification is from the smiling faces, and from the kind notes of the parents of the children thanking us profusely for finally giving their child a good christmas experience.
Maybe I can find some of these pictures and scan em up here so you have an idea of all the christmas stuff we have (Every inch is covered, I don't have to turn on any lights during christmas). When we had the house built we had a seperate main breaker box put in just to power the lights during christmas. Don't even ask what the electric bill is for the month of december, but I could tell you that you could buy a very nice drysuit with how much it costs.

So anyways, that gives you an idea why Nov/Dec isn't good for me.. :(

Matt

You could always do it in FL in Oct.

WaterDawg:
You could always do it in FL in Oct.
That is definately a valid option, if people would come with me. Not sure if anybody else feels like traveling for it. I'm not going to go down there by myself and get stuck with random buddy or anything for the course, I would want to do it with someone who I already dive with.

Matt

You should not let not having a know buddy stop you from taking a DIR-F course. A lot of the class is devoted to buddy skills. There is a lot of 1 on 1 in the class so having a buddy, much less a know one is not a big deal. I took it with an unknown group...well I actually did "know" a couple of guys off this board that were there but had not dove with them before and got a lot out of the course. I don't follow a lot of the DIR stuff but I did take away a lot of useful things that I have incorporated into my own diving style. The course is almost worth the money just to see what a truly good diver looks like. If the rest of the instructors are like mine and I suspect they are, they were incredible just to watch. I hope that I can someday come close to their skill level.

I replied to your post over at WM but since it is once again gone....
I just can't go to cave country and not spend the time diving the caves. It would be tough to spend three days in a class clearing my mask and shooting bags knowing the caves are right around the corner. Know what I mean? Since I'm not looking at the fundies class as a prerequisite for future classes I'm in no big rush to get it. I have no problem setting it up for Spring myself. That would give a few of you more time in your drysuits and doubles before class. Just a thought.

Jason

i'll do whatever, but my preference is for this fall. i'll go to fl, i'll go to va, just let me know. i don't have the drysuit & doubles issues, so i'm ready to be told how bad i suck any time now.

Jason B:
I just can't go to cave country and not spend the time diving the caves. It would be tough to spend three days in a class clearing my mask and shooting bags knowing the caves are right around the corner. Know what I mean?
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, kind of the same way I feel. If I'm going to FL, I would want to be doing cavern/intro training, not a fundies course.

Matt

Well since it doesn't look like we're going to be able to get a class together this fall, maybe we can just shot for next spring. I'm holding off on cavern/intro until after the new year as well. Trying to save some cash plus get in some more diving before taking the FL classes.

Next Spring sounds good to me. I think I am just going to take Cavern/intro in September since it looks like some dates will fit right in with my schedule and my girlfriends.

Matt

Matt, you have also got to post pictures of these Christmas decorations!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom