future diver with some gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005, I obviously wont be a divemaster in December.... I will begin to complete AOW, Rescue, Then DM, starting when I return in December.

I just wanted to update this thread since I got some new toys and am winding down on completing my package.

I previously bought these:
atomic frameless mask
atomic sv2 snorkel
atomic z2x sealed DIN 1st and 2nd stage regs
atomic ss1 titanium safe second / inflator
scubapro pure tek single tank BP&W setup
oceanic geo 2 computer
and Tusa 3 gauge console

and since my last post in this thread, I got the following:
Atomic titanium knife ( $50 used from e-bay)
scubapro x-tek quick release weight pouches
Henderson aqualock 5mm full suit
Henderson aqualock 5mm boots
Henderson aqualock 3/5mm hood
Henderson aqualock 5mm gloves
mares Avanti Quattro fins

I got a great deal on the Henderson wetsuit and accessories, less than $375 total!
I was kind of on the fence about the quick release weight pouches, but after I got them I was glad I did. I read story after story on here about incidents where people didn't drop their weight, and I didn't want to be "that" guy. I looked into some less expensive options, but in the end decided that the scubapro's were my best bet. they work very well with the x-tek BP&W and pure-tek harness. be aware though, they are pretty long, so if you are small framed, they may prevent you from tightening your waist strap fully.

I haven't fully tested any of the gear yet due to my current location (well maybe I jumped into some 60 degree water with the wetsuit on, just because, lol).

I have completed all of the academic portions of the AOW course:
deep
underwater navigation
peak performance buoyancy
night
drift
altitude diving
aware fish ID
boat diving
diver propulsion vehicle
dry suit
multilevel computer diving
search and recovery
wreck diving
underwater naturalist
underwater photography
and underwater videography.

I did the academics of the rescue course as well. I have had some time to kill being so far from clear blue water.
I still have some stuff to buy, (smb and reel, dive lights, a lift bag, 3mm suit, and some other odds and ends).

it has been a fun and informative journey so far. I cant say that I regret any purchases yet. I may kick myself for not waiting on the new atomic blade fins to be released before buying the quattros, but time will tell.

The quattros will suit you fine *if* you have feet that aren't too wide. They are very capable fins once you learn more advanced kicks. I replaced my lost quattros with new ones and the boot box is way thinner than they used to be. I had to move back to my spare split-fins because it actually hurt my feet to kick. If they fit you well, keep them and get some spring straps instead. Some F1's are on my to-buy list. :wink:

Video of the Quattros in action:
Steve Bogaerts Sidemount Skills demo in a Razor Harness - YouTube

RE: Dropping weight. Ditching is rarely the best answer. Remember that ditching removes your ability to completely control your ascent and should usually be the last-ditch (Forgive the pun) resort. Getting to your buddy, getting control of the situation, and ascending with him or her is usually the best first response. That was a primary difference between my PADI cert and my more recent NAUI training: PADI really seems to over-emphasize ditching of weight.

Also...I'm no DM but I also agree that you might be moving too fast. Hold off on your peripheral equipment purchases and concentrate on getting comfortable in what you have. Task loading with reels, lift bags, etc...do that after you've been diving long enough for the basics to become second nature. I've been diving since 2002 and just last year got around to AOW. Rescue is on tap for next year. Don't move on until you've mastered the skills you've been taught, and dive in local conditions that are not blue water. Life will not always be 50'+ vis; it's worth knowing how to be a responsible buddy and navigate in <5' visibility.

The quattros will suit you fine *if* you have feet that aren't too wide. They are very capable fins once you learn more advanced kicks. I replaced my lost quattros with new ones and the boot box is way thinner than they used to be. I had to move back to my spare split-fins because it actually hurt my feet to kick. If they fit you well, keep them and get some spring straps instead. Some F1's are on my to-buy list. :wink:

Video of the Quattros in action:
Steve Bogaerts Sidemount Skills demo in a Razor Harness - YouTube

RE: Dropping weight. Ditching is rarely the best answer. Remember that ditching removes your ability to completely control your ascent and should usually be the last-ditch (Forgive the pun) resort. Getting to your buddy, getting control of the situation, and ascending with him or her is usually the best first response. That was a primary difference between my PADI cert and my more recent NAUI training: PADI really seems to over-emphasize ditching of weight.

Also...I'm no DM but I also agree that you might be moving too fast. Hold off on your peripheral equipment purchases and concentrate on getting comfortable in what you have. Task loading with reels, lift bags, etc...do that after you've been diving long enough for the basics to become second nature. I've been diving since 2002 and just last year got around to AOW. Rescue is on tap for next year. Don't move on until you've mastered the skills you've been taught, and dive in local conditions that are not blue water. Life will not always be 50'+ vis; it's worth knowing how to be a responsible buddy and navigate in <5' visibility.

I actually watched that video last night, it was posted in another thread, maybe by you? If so, thanks, because it helped push me in the quattros direction.

as far as the weight pouches, I had to wear a conventional weight belt while doing my ow dives. I found it to be a hassle, since I already had a belt on my bcd. It made taking my gear on or off in or out of the water a pain. I also took into consideration that if I do end up going pro, I would have to carry some extra weights for not so buoyantly perfect students or customers. I am pretty confident that I could dive with no weights with a steel 100 or 120 tank. I dove a hp steel 72? and only used 6lbs of lead in salt water (I think I could have got away with less).

I will be diving daily when I return to Florida, possibly multiple times a day. I want to take this time and find deals on equipment that I will need in the future. I have made a few contacts in the area with individuals and some dive groups. I have scored free air and free boat rides to dive sites, so underwater time should come easy once I return. I am only taking the academic portions of the other certs to take advantage of my current situation and gain some knowledge while I have the free time. I will become comfortable in my experience and gear before pursuing advanced certifications. I understand that this is very much "against the grain", but I would argue that it is more beneficial than harmful. I could be an OW diver with just an understanding of what I learned in the OW class or I can be an OW diver with at basic academic knowledge in AOW and rescue concepts. I feel like I learned a lot from the other courses, I am glad I did the academics and I still have them available for me to review.
when it comes time for me to do my AOW or rescue, I will have seen the info at least twice (initially doing it, and reviewing it before the actual cert). in my eyes, that will make me a better AOW or rescue diver than someone who only studied the info once. I believe my chances of retaining that information is better doing it my way vs. someone who does it the night before their check out dives.

thanks again for the video, and advice!

Last edited:
I think you'll like the weight pouches. I use Halcyon weight pouches.
I agree, don't go too fast, get a god base of knowledge. Consider branching out. Maybe take a UTD Essentials or GUE Fundies class to give yourself something to chew on. There are some great tech instructors in Florida. Doug Mudry might be one to try. I've heard really great things about him.
Have you thought about taking a drysuit class while you're up north?

I'm not arguing against weight pockets, or that one shouldn't use ditchable weight; on the contrary, there's a time and a place for it. I think the integrated pockets were a good pickup. Just commenting on your remark about not being 'that guy'. :)

My Uncle (swift-water rescue, search and recovery diver) drilled something into my head, namely that at the end of the day, it's a buddy sport. Be the buddy you want to have. We would all like the buddy who took his time, focused on mastering the essentials and dives within his limits rather than the guy coughing up cert cards.

It's a fun sport, with plenty of fun people. Take your time, get to know a ton of folks, and soak up the knowledge around you like a sponge. I learn something new from somebody almost every time I go down to the dive shop. This board is also a good resource. Cheers. :D

---------- Post added October 30th, 2013 at 04:44 PM ----------

don't go too fast, get a god base of knowledge. Consider branching out. .

That was my diabolical plan.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom