FYI BHB - Sheriff's dept ticketing for not having dive flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KWBuddy,

If the sailboat has a bridge clearance problem, why use the "east of the main channel" passage at HIGH tide? The mast would then have 2 to 3.5 feet less clearance than if the sailboat had transited at low tide. The water isn't deep there, maybe 10-12 feet at high tide, there's much more water depth in the main channel.

As you may know, high tide is the best time to dive the bridge.

Since this is such a known site for diving are there no signs posted regarding divers for the captains to observe?

I can't of a way to word a sign that wouldn't enforce both group's beliefs that they have greater rights in the area than the other group. It sounds like a no-win situation as far as signage goes.

why use the "east of the main channel" passage at HIGH tide?

I can't speak for the person operating the sailboat. Perhaps he was making a day trip to the ocean?

As you may know, high tide is the best time to dive the bridge.

I'm assuming that this is because the current is slack and the water is cleaner at high tide than it would be at low tide slack current?

I suspect that on some sailboat board somewhere, there are boat people wondering why the divers *have* to use the area at the only time of day that they are forced into the east channel.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help here. The only time I have used the bridge is when delivering boats from one location to another and I really don't have any local knowledge of the area. The last time I went diving there is well over 40 years ago.

As I have said, I think it's a no-win situation and I sympathize with both user groups.

--

Bud

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom