Fying/driving after altitude diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There’s some great info in this thread, but two factors I haven’t seen mentioned to reduce the risk following altitude dives, and when flying or driving to higher altitudes after a dive.

While working ski patrol, mountain rescue, doing altitude dives in Colorado, and flying as a charter pilot, I was always surprised at how many people let themselves get dehydrated at altitude. Dehydration is certainly a factor in susceptibility to DCS, and at altitudes where you’re losing fluids faster than at sea level many people don’t drink enough to make up the difference. Dry SCUBA air can take enough moisture out of your system without the added loss from the altitude so even if you’re staying well within the bounds of the NOAA altitude tables make sure you’re not dehydrated or they won’t help you.

Not that I recommend it, but I’ve been pushing the tables for flying after diving for years, but I give myself an extra margin. I keep two portable O2 tanks in my plane and if I think I may need to fly after diving I take one with me either on the boat or have it available as soon as I get ashore. As soon as possible after my last dive I breath O2 (from a mask, not a cannula) for about 30 minutes, and if I do fly before the tables say I should I go on O2 for another 30 minutes before flying. I also stay as low on my flight as I safely can.

I took one good hit of the bends in the joints back in 1972 (when I was young, dumb, 9’ tall, and bulletproof). I had regularly been flying back to Florida from the Bahamas 5 or 6 hours after diving, but I’d never climb to more than 3,000’ until one afternoon I got caught in some bad weather. Without thinking about the diving, I started climbing to 10,000’ to get over some rain clouds and at about 8,000’ all at once I thought my knees, elbows, and hands had caught fire from the inside. I declared an emergency and began descending almost immediately and by the time I got back down to about 5,000’ I was sore but the sharp pain had gone away. By the time I landed at St. Lucie County I was feeling fine, but the medical crew put me on O2 for an hour, and I spent the night there before flying home the next day.

Hello Bill:

Thanks for the interesting stories. Breathing oxygen post dive is certainly a possible mitigation procedure. It is not easy to calculate the washout and thus the protection, however.

This oxygen procedure was done (or at least considered) at NASA for a short time period until the current dive tank (Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory) was constructed at the Johnson Space Center.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Dr Deco:
Hello saildiver:

Delayed DCS

It is most probable that ascending the hill ten days following a dive was probably more associated with carbon dioxide and a headache than DCS and a headache.

Problems occurring after the second plane flight are also really too remote in duration to be a classical gas loading problem.

One problem is in the use of the term “got fully bent.” Technically “the bends” refers to joint pain. Since you were discussing Type II, this is neurological. Thus, what exacting occurred on the second flight? That is not to say that I can provide an answer after receiving this information. :06:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
The original " fully bent type II " DCS symptoms were severe left sided headache 10 min after a rapid ascent after days of deep repetative diving-followed within aminutes by Right arm and shoulder pain,followed by ataxia and right arm weakness and numbness,and later stupor and confusion-which all cleared in the chamber. The symptoms everyday on the hill consisted of Left -sided headache,dizziness,and some mild Right arm weakness.The symptoms which occurred after 10 days resting on the Island while flying at 3500 ft were essentially identicle to the inital symptoms-but they had a more rapid onset;left sided-headache, right arm weakness and numbness,ataxia,dizziness,confusion and eventually stupor-which all cleared rapidly once they were again decompressed asap in the chamber,over 3 days this time-though some of the right arm weakness remained to a mild extent. As a diving doc myself, well versed in DCI,I thought this a very interesting case of altitude and DCI .....Peace...Saildiver.

Hello saildiver:

Well, you are right about that. We are not looking at a case of fuzzy diagnosis and mild symptoms here. These are definite signs and symptoms.

It certainly appears to be a gas lesion since it appears and remits with changes of external pressure. It is difficult to imagine that a free gas phase could last that long.

A colleague of mine one saw a case where a small amount of air was entering the circulatory system via a pulmonary pathway. It appeared to follow breathing patterns. It was as if a needle was inserted into a blood vessel and air was slowly being infused.

It would be hard to image that this could occur and bubbles be consistently transport to the same area of the CNS. It could only occur in the same region if there was flow segregation.

In the end, I do not really know! :06:

http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Hello Dr. Deco -The Doc in Charge at the Recompression chamber had seen several similar cases,though this was definately not the usual pattern. With DCI,some of the strangest symptom complexes I've ever heard of, have occured. Do you think maybe it has to do the fact that we just don't know that much for certain yet about individual variations with nitrogen uptake and release rates of different tissues-those tissues that let go of nitrogen the slowest cause most cases of bends when we least expect it or when we think we should now be "safe to fly". Also-this particular individual I was speaking of also had a head injury as a child -could scar tissue affect(slow down) nitrogen return to the circulation after reptitive diving?...Peace...Saildiver.

Back
Top Bottom