Fying/driving after altitude diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A note about aircraft pressurization:

Modern turbine airliners can climb at impressive rates exceeding 4000 feet/min; however, the pressurization controllers maintain a comfortable cabin climb rate of between 350 and 500 feet per minute. The cabin ascent rate will never exceed the aircraft ascent rate unless the aircraft is pressurized on the ground (this is bad and doesn't happen often due to squat switches and outflow valves). At slow climb rates the cabin ascent rate can be very low and less than 100 feet per minute.

Depressurization: The descent rate of the cabin will never exceed the descent rate of the aircraft unless the aircraft reaches the cabin altitude due to a rapid descent with an outflow valve problem (rare and would be very obvious to the pilots). Cabin descent rates are typically in the 250 to 400 feet per minute range. The cabin altitude will reach ambiant ground pressure well before the aircraft touches down, and the max pressure differential upon weight on wheels is typically .1 or less.

Typical pressurization problems do not result in a rapid or sudden decompression of the cabin. Airplanes leak pressure by design. As long as the input produced by the packs exceeds the output (leakage), the plane will maintain a positive pressure differential. The normal leakage, supplemented by multiple outflow valves allows a differential to be maintained. A typical pressurization problem presents itself before the cabin pressure can rise significantly and is addressed with a descent to a safe altitude at an significant rate to exceed the climb in cabin altitude.

If there is a rupture of the hull causing rapid cabin altitude increase, you will be having one of those days that will most likely end very badly for all involved; therefore, whether or not you had residual inert gas in your system would be fairly irrelevant.

That all being said, things do go wrong, but the chances are very minor. You have to decide, like with things like depth, PO2, END, and such, what your tolerance of risk/reward is.

mempilot:
If there is a rupture of the hull causing rapid cabin altitude increase, you will be having one of those days that will most likely end very badly for all involved; therefore, whether or not you had residual inert gas in your system would be fairly irrelevant.

Heh, that was the potential to which I refered in my post. And you're right. But personally risks seem to change when you have a small child depending on your income....

James Goddard:
But personally risks seem to change when you have a small child depending on your income....

Agreed. That's why I believe everyone has to look at their own risk/reward analysis and make the decision based on what they are willing to risk. For me, I'm single without children, so I personally accept the relatively minor risk to myself. I would never knock anyone for following a more conservative plan such as the 24 hour rule. :)

mempilot:
I would never knock anyone for following a more conservative plan such as the 24 hour rule. :)

Yep, somthing on which we both agree. I've often commented that MHK's "wet hair" rule works for him and has valid backup, but it's not somthing I would personally use...

James

boomx5:
Wet hair rule?
A reference to a rec.scuba post where MHK described going into a plane right after a dive with "His hair still wet". Here it is

boomx5:
Ok...got it. For the record I know a lot of people who do this on a regular basis and do not have any issues...including Mike.
You don't have to convince me...Mountains and diving is all that I have.

boomx5:
Ok...got it. For the record I know a lot of people who do this on a regular basis and do not have any issues...including Mike.

You don't have to convince me either. MHK has convinced me. I see no reason not to use the "wet hair rule" if you decompress properly. No reason other than I am not personally willing to take the risk. As mempilot said, we all have to decide for ourselves where your limits are.

When I was single they were ^. Married -. Married with child _.....

James

The Karman line is an internationally accepted boundry between the atmosphere and space. This line is averaged at 62 miles (100 km) above sea level, since it actually varies depending on postion over the surface of the planet.

The density of the atmosphere decreases with altitude, and appoximately 75% of it's mass lies within the first 7 miles (approximately 37,000 feet MSL). It's late, so my math is rounded and may be a bit off, but at 8000 ft MSL, we are at roughly .8 ATA, or only .2 ATA above sea level. This is the equivelent of ascending about 7ft in seawater.

At cabin altitude, the lower pressure on our bodies is roughly equal to if we could ascend another 7 ft shallower in the water. Given proper decompression was adhered to, and given the time it takes to get from the water to an aircraft and ascend the cabin to 8000', the risk is minimal. If you talk about actual aircraft altitude, then the number is more dramatic and risky. Non-pressurized general aviation aircraft are typically restricted to short periods at altitudes up to 12000' MSL without putting the pax on O2, and the cabin rate of ascent is equal to the aircraft rate of ascent. This could be very bad for obvious reasons. Flying commercially doesn't pose much of a threat though, unless things go bad, in which case...

Back
Top Bottom