G10 - Patima or Fisheye housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did they mount the lens to make that statement? Again, if the manufacturers would optimize their ports the problems would largely go away.

I suspect they are wrong and they were not dealing with the 28AD with dome port but if they were, nonetheless, zoomed in slightly it would still be wider than the dome port corrected 28MM. Certain people, experts, told me I could not install the 165AD to my Ikelite housing and explained why--they were also wrong.

I hate to be digging up a post from Feb 11, but I just saw this...

The UWL-100 28 AD vignettes when placed directly in front of the camera's lens! There is no room for even a glass flat port.

Seatool did produce an adapter, which is a drymate system, for this lens. It had to be a replacement port because the glass flat port increasing distance between the conversion lens and the camera lens increased vignetting.

Even in this special port with the absolute minimum distance form the camera lens -> converter lens, the combo vignettes badly.

Zooming to eliminate the vignetting is not a usable option in this case due to severe degradation of corner sharpness. A prototype was built and tested in water at significant cost, hardly "not wanting to go the extra mile" in my opinion.

The experts will lead you astray because they really are just not wanting to go the extra mile. IMO, the Inon 100 lens with dome port would be much wider than the corrected 28MM dome port on the Ikelite housing

I'm not sure who you are referring to here, but since your quote makes reference to me I'm a bit offended. We, and the manufacturers we represent, are happy to go the extra mile to solve a problem that is a significant deficiency in an otherwise excellent system. If better results were attainable at a reasonable cost, we'd offer them. In this case the options you are promoting were tested thoroughly months before you started advocating them here, and found not to work.

hi guys,

i have been reading your posts and i am confused. am new to diving, about one and a half year now. i see a lot of great shots and want to take some myself. i have a canon g10, that is a given. what housing would you recommend? patima or fisheye. someone mentioned to me that with the patima casing, i am not able to adjust the zoom? is that for both wide and macro? thanks

Actually, I've been fiddeling around with my brand new Patima for 2 days now. Heading off to testdive it next week, only in pool though since weather here is 7 degrees celcius below freezing. And I'm not a fan of the cold.

Anywho.
The housing does actually allow zoom with the short port, but only about 50% or so, and its a risky game to play since you might go to far and crack the glass. I won't be the one that tries how much it withstands.
As mentioned earlier, the wide zoomport is not threaded, the short one is. Housing is heaver than I expected but not to heavy, again, I haven' tried it underwater yet. All controls are easily accesible and the housing is pretty intuitive. Comes with a connection on the inside for the Nikonos connection, it can be a bit tricky go get it out of the way if you dont intend to mount it on the camera and use it. Not a big problem though, just tuck it away on the side.
Would I recommend this house?

I would. I would also recommend loosing the hand strap and getting a handle instead. Preferably on the opposite side. I know I will.
I'll try and give a better review as I try it more, and with diving ofcourse, and as I add on to it.

/Fredrik

hey man,,,, i do have a patima housing with Zen Underwater 105° Wet-mount Wide Angle Lens for Canon G10 ive used for 7 dives....

let me know if interested,, contact me solojuven@hotmail.com

cheers!

Gino
Owsi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom