G10 + wp-dc28 + YS-110a

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgive me if I am intruding in this chain, but I am a Newbie. I currently use a Canon SD790IS and Canon housing. I am considering upgrading to the G10, for more depth of field. My concern is shutter lag. Do you find that shutter lag is a problem with the G10 underwater?

I can't justify buying a DSLR setup, as it would run $4,500 minimum. I have an Inon D2000-3 strobe, and a Canon housing for my SD790. I am considering an Ikelite housing as I dive the Blue Hole every year and usually exceed the 130 foot limit of the Canon housing. The Ikelite is rated to 200 feet. I would appreciate hearing about your experience with the G10, and any suggestions you might have.

Denny Crane
dennycrane@charter.net

Forgive me if I am intruding in this chain, but I am a Newbie. I currently use a Canon SD790IS and Canon housing. I am considering upgrading to the G10, for more depth of field. My concern is shutter lag. Do you find that shutter lag is a problem with the G10 underwater?

I can't justify buying a DSLR setup, as it would run $4,500 minimum. I have an Inon D2000-3 strobe, and a Canon housing for my SD790. I am considering an Ikelite housing as I dive the Blue Hole every year and usually exceed the 130 foot limit of the Canon housing. The Ikelite is rated to 200 feet. I would appreciate hearing about your experience with the G10, and any suggestions you might have.

Denny Crane
dennycrane@charter.net

Welcome to scubaboard. I shoot pictures of a lot of very small, fast moving fish...where even the shutter lag from a DSLR would be a major issue.

Please keep in mind that the two types of images that most dslr people take (super macro and wide angle) are the two that shutter lag is not important....somewhat ironic.

The G10 does has, if you are just push the button down, a fair amount of shutter lag (actually, it is mostly focus time)...but there is a way around it.. you prefocus the camera (half depress the shutter button)...and then shoot. From half depressed, the shutter lag is under .5 seconds...which is not bad.

That is how this picture was taken:

damsel1400.JPG

and this:

Puffer1200.JPG

To learn how to do it, I have gotten in the habit of taking every image in two steps... half depress.. then shoot shot..

The G10 has a setting that shows you have a good focus by magnifying the center... so it also helps make sure you are focused where you think you are.

Just be careful to prefocus on something the right distance and the right light/darkness.

Puffer...

Your image are wonderful and would you be willing to provide an equipment list of your system?

Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom