G11 or S90 Ikelite or Canon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the S90 and the Ike housing... partially because of size.. part because of cost, and part because of 67 mm "options".

If one wants to spend the money on the Fix housing, consider the new Oly micro 4/s dslr...with the same 67mm attachment. Or the 10bar and the new panasonic.

The fix and the G90 is getting very close to the price of the oly with housing...boy that is an interesting choice.

While I suspect I am headed for the Panasonic and 10Bar, for right now the S90, with wideangle and macro is a very nice package....one I am glad I have.

I am very excited about the coming wave of Micro 4:3 and Canon and Nikon EVILs but I don't think the new ELP-1 is quite there for me yet. It has manual controls via buttons where as the S90 has rotary knobs and direct access (with the FIX) and that is worth a lot to me. But, you and me both, that new ELP-1 could offer some very interesting options if the housings come for it and it's brethren yet unborn. The Oly housing is just to big, I see no need for the view finder when you have a giant LCD, it just makes the housing big. It is possible some of these will with one port take wet lenses and with another port dry lenses, could happen :eyebrow:.

N

jbb, I was just in an ornery mood, I dump on the poor Canon housings, lol, I mean, they are not my favorite but after I replaced the springs on mine it has and will continue to serve well.

Did you replace them with stronger springs or just the equivalent? Where did you get the springs? For future reference - I know the buttons will stick sooner or later.:wink:

Thanks.

Did you replace them with stronger springs or just the equivalent? Where did you get the springs? For future reference - I know the buttons will stick sooner or later.:wink:

Thanks.

I guess it is off subject, dunno, if you use 100% pure liquid food grade silicone, a tiny eye dropper and put a drop on each gland after your trip is over and after thoroughly flushing them with distilled water, the buttons do much better.

The springs, well, I got some here, some there, some from McMaster. I had to cut a few to length. I only replaced the buttons that insisted to sticking or pushing on their own. Then after I polished the mold line off the O-ring groove that kept trying to weep water, well, now it is OK. I have had it to 150 feet on the side of the Big O. Did not implode and continued to function with my HD springs. :D

N

....and Inon double macro lenses which I sewed and ziptie a neoprene sock for that fits for that pesky oblong port on the canon uw cases. All this I had for my g7. I know not perfect but it takes a little adjusting to get the lenses centered on the camera lense.

How do you attach the macro lenses to the Canon housing? Something I can buy, or would I have to make it?

Any why did Canon make the port so huge? So that the housing would float even more?:balloons:

How do you attach the macro lenses to the Canon housing? Something I can buy, or would I have to make it?

Any why did Canon make the port so huge? So that the housing would float even more?:balloons:

Inon and other similar lenses can be mounted via a spare lens accessory holder to the camera tray, not the housing.

Lens Caddies : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Why does Canon make the port so big and SQUARE? Beats me. To confound wet lens users I suspect. Ikelite made theirs large but for a reason, to hold and mount 67mm lenses. FIX made theirs small, very small and supplied an adapter kit for the wet lenses. Canon just does not care either way. Why, why ask why? It just is. :idk:

N

Inon and other similar lenses can be mounted via a spare lens accessory holder to the camera tray, not the housing.

Lens Caddies : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Actually, I was asking how he attaches the lens for use to the Canon housing, not for storage. I now see that Fantasea makes something that hooks to the housing. Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- EyeDaptor G10-F67 Looks kludgey to me, but maybe okay in use.

Actually, I was asking how he attaches the lens for use to the Canon housing, not for storage. I now see that Fantasea makes something that hooks to the housing. Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- EyeDaptor G10-F67 Looks kludgey to me, but maybe okay in use.

It has been alleged that Inon is developing a kit for the Canon DC-35 housing. All we can do is watch their page here:

???? Compatible Mountbase[Canon]

http://www.inon.jp/INON_TOP.html

and:

INON NEWS

I initially made some guesses on compatibility with the DC-35 and wide angle wet mount lenses. It was based on a few measurements given to me of the exterior and a measurement from the inside based on lens gap from my DC-12. My conclusion was that it was highly unlikely that wet mount AD or even 28AD lenses would work with the DC-35, however, it has since been shown that indeed with some crop at least one fellow is shooting a 105AD with a homemade mount on his DC-35 and the results look acceptable with about an 85% crop which is still a large increase in FOV without loosing too much sensor area. I really hate cropping vignetting more than about 95% but you know, perfection is not always possible.

N

Seems there is a diving exibition in Tokyo starting tomorrow. Inon has announced their attendance along with some of the items they'll be exhibiting. Unfortunately the news is only in Japanese, but thanks to google I've managed to translate the following tidbit of info:

『Canon Powershot S90,』 / "WP-DC35" support "AD Mount Base DC35"

source : Google Translate

Like I said I bought some 3mm neoprene and sewed a collar for it. Ziptie it between the macro lenses and then pull it over the port. I also applied some adhesive velcro to the side of the port so the neoprene has something to grip. I have tried to attach a couple of photos to this post. I do have to wiggle the double macro lenses around until they more or less line up with the camera lense.

Attachments

• IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 73
Like I said I bought some 3mm neoprene and sewed a collar for it. Ziptie it between the macro lenses and then pull it over the port. I also applied some adhesive velcro to the side of the port so the neoprene has something to grip. I have tried to attach a couple of photos to this post. I do have to wiggle the double macro lenses around until they more or less line up with the camera lense.

another shot of the velcro on the port. i did this on the g7 uw case. it will be a little trickier on the s90 case.

Attachments

• IMG_4425.JPG
    IMG_4425.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 61
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom