G9 in Action in the Bahamas, Sept. 08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad you are happy with your 8000G, even with the noisy sensor. Just so you know though using a strobe vs the internal flash really isn't a distance issue so much as it is in-direct light, better balanced, more power to light larger areas, faster recycle, etc.

I would hate someone new to photography read your comment and think that strobes have no use in macro when in fact they have a very good use and I have two that I use in both macro and wide angle for optimal lighting.

I've been shooting underwater since 1989 and always used a strobe until I went digital. With the type of shooting I prefer, if you set the shot up correctly a strobe isn't always needed,,, especially when you can photoshop afterwards. :rofl3:

That being said, I think a beginner needs to get a feel for the camera first before adding a strobe.

I am wondering if you had a bad 8000G.... I haven't had much problem with noise but I do usually set my speed instead of going auto.

I've been shooting underwater since 1989 and always used a strobe until I went digital. With the type of shooting I prefer, if you set the shot up correctly a strobe isn't always needed,,, especially when you can photoshop afterwards. :rofl3:

That being said, I think a beginner needs to get a feel for the camera first before adding a strobe.

I am wondering if you had a bad 8000G.... I haven't had much problem with noise but I do usually set my speed instead of going auto.

I didn't have a bad 8000G (well no worse than any others that is :D) and never shoot auto. With respect to noise, even your pictures suffer from significant noise that is noticable even in their reduced size. Its not your fault, it is just the camera.

As far as photoshop as a replacement for good strobe lighting.. Well... I don't agree. I will say you can shoot nice natural light photos with filters and manual white balancing. However, the internal flash is no match for a strobe. I have also gotten my wife and daughter both into underwater photography and they both started out with a strobe with little problems. Its just a matter of personal preference, travel bag space, and money. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom