Galapagos 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickpics

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning to travel to Galapagos in 2008. Planned the Aggressor but was told by a friend only Hughes can do a land tour. Anyone know if this is so?

Here is the link to thread about ongoing problems in Galapagos.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=187619&highlight=Galapagos

Apparently most boat operators did not have the correct license to offer scuba tours so the government essentially shut them down.

I'm not sure if that goes the other way, as well. At the very least, if you are looking to both dive and take land tours, you should make sure your operator is licensed to do both.

And welcome to the board.

Jeff

From what I have read, no one knows for sure until the new diving regulations and permits are developed by the Galapagos National Park Service. There seems to be quite a few operators and tour agencies who feel that after 12/31/07 the yachts will only be able to either diving or land tours, but not both.

We just returned from Galapagos two weeks ago, it was just an amazing experience and the diving was unlike anything I'd ever seen...I fully reccomend a trip, just be prepared for the stress that comes from dealing with the fickle GNP and their idiotic new policies towards how they are handling the Galapagos and their weakness in dealing with illegal shark finning.

I would also recommend you also consider looking into a charter on the Deep Blue. Ken, the booking agent was extremely open and honest with us and we were able to not only dive both Wolf and Darwin, but also get some great land excursions on Santiago and San Cristobal. They have a Galapagos-born owner and divemaster, so it is my opinion that they will be in good shape with the 2008 diving "cupo" situation.

http://www.galapagosadventures.com/

Hi. We are booked on the Aggressor for 2008 as well. We are likely also booking additional land tours for a 4 day cruise that does not focus on diving. According to Aggressor, both their 2 boats and the Peter Hughes boat are the only 3 currently legally allowed to do both land and diving tours. Supposedly this will still be the case in 2008, but doesn't sound like anyone truly knows. I honestly don't understand why in the world the Ecuadorian Govt. would restrict the diving/land tours and turn a blind eye to the shark finning issue. It just doens't make sense. We probably wouldn't go at this point, but booked months before any of this became a major issue. I am worried, but what can you do?

I honestly don't understand why in the world the Ecuadorian Govt. would restrict the diving/land tours and turn a blind eye to the shark finning issue. It just doens't make sense. We probably wouldn't go at this point, but booked months before any of this became a major issue. I am worried, but what can you do?

Oceancat, when governments do something that "just doesn't make sense", all I can say is - Follow the money.

In case you missed it, here is a link to my trip report from the Aggressor I last October:

http://www.kydiver.net/diving_the_galapagos_islands.htm

If you are not sure about land tours, try adding a couple of days to your trip and see if you can work some in. You won't be disappointed.

Heard it from someone with government connections, and also from Solon Intiago, the DM who originally worked Deep Blue but went to Aggressor when DB was shut down, as of 1/1/08, diving, or land tours, but not both.

Of course, it's South America, and things change

Just got back last week and as of now and till the end of the year Aggressor and Hughe's boat are able to both land and dive. They have to have permits. They are not allowed to do snorkle tours or panga tours. As it stands now the feeling is that they will be able to continue into next year.

Had a great time on the Aggressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom