GALAPAGOS: ANY ADVISE about : when? which company ? land hotel or liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curamax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My interest is big animals,
I did COCOS(2013) , SOCORROS (2014) and planning GALAPAGOS for 2015

It´s worth the difference in price?
When is the best time to do it?
Wich hotel or live aboard?

Any other place to go??

thanks

Liveaboard is so heavily marketed to the North American audience, that will be the bulk of recommendations.

i have done it by several liveaboard trips, but the last three time we did land based out of Puerto Ayorra. My divers get to see Hammerheads and Mobula Rays, plus they get to really enjoy their time ashore exploring to town, The Darwin Research Station, the local restaurants, plus the two lava tube adventure crawls. They enjoyed the 1/2 day trip to the highlands to see the Turtles in their natural environs.

For land based, there is no comparison for Scuba Iguana. We like the Red Mangrove right next door, both at the gate to the Research Station and a ten minute walk to the small business district. They will show you enough Hammerheads at Gordon Rocks, they will move their boat to the far North (near the airport), and drive you up there to meet after breakfast at a table that isn't pitching to and fro. There's something to be said about beds that don't rock, as well.

In light of your dive history, that might ring a bell for you.

The Galapagos is one of the very very few dive destinations where I suggest that divers do something besides sit in a rocking boat and dive. Yes, the diving around Wolf and Darwin islands is grand on any scale, but you are signing up for 2x18 hours of bouncy crossings out of your time.

There has been a torrent of liveaboard corporate and mechanical failures as of the last four years, charters disappearing overnight. Choose with care if you go that route.

Personally, I swear by the Sky to Galapagos. The whole operation is top notch. The crossing is rough but, when you get there, the diving is well worth it. The time of year is important. I was told to, and did, book for September as this is the best time to get whale sharks, hammerheads and mantas. I saw multitudes of them all. I've heard that you can't count on the seasons but I did and it worked out.

thanks doc.

I may go to the liveaboard option since i travel alone, (also because wolf and darwin )

so,

In some places says hammerheads are all year and another websites says dec-may are in greater numbers.

whale sharks from jun to nov?

any advice about the seasons?

thanks

My wife and I went on April, but not on a liveaboard because of two reasons. The first is that even it's the only way to get to Wolf or Darwin, it is too expensive. And the second reason is that you miss out all the land species and getting to know the islands. Maybe when we are more experienced we'll go back just to dive on a liveaboard. Our option was to take a 5 day non diving (but snorkelling) cruise around Santa Cruz, Santiago, Fernandina and Isabela. After the cruise we booked 4 dives to North Seymour, Daphne, and Gordon Rocks twice. We saw lots of turtles and hammerheads. :D

If you have any specific question just ask!

Here's a video of our trip
[video=youtube;JTyu-4oe_iA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyu-4oe_iA[/video]

Back
Top Bottom