Galapagos April vs May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinglover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am currently thinking of going to Galapagos around April/May for liveaboard, including Darwin and Wolf, and i have few questions about conditions during that season:
1. I believe April/May is low season with calmer seas in Galapagos. Does that usually mean that the currents tend to be calmer as well? I know it's impossible to predict, but what is the 'general' rule in Apr/May?

2. In the low season, how much less of other 'stuff' is there? is it worth going at all (assuming i wouldn't be able to do it again for good years), or should i not go, and better wait to ' do it right' / go in high season. I know its not whaleshark season, but about others - hammerheads, rays, mantas? i would love to see the abundance of life that Galapagos is so famous for.

3.is there much difference in diving April vs May? I have seen couple of recent posts that said they went in April, and there was very little to see. Is May usually better than April for seeing the variety / abundance of life?

4. i think i read on one of the posts that hammerheads migrate away in february - may - is that correct? hammerheads and manatas are at the top of my list of priorities to see...

Sorry for so many questions - and hope you can help!
thank you!!

If you can wait until May, marine life tends to be a bit more abundant, however, the cooler waters can begin coming in so currents may be a bit stronger than in April. Last May, there were even whale shark sightings...early. Don't know if that will be the case in 2013. Traditionally, you're unlikely to have whale sharks in May, but the rest of the life is fairly abundant, water is not too cold yet and the air temp is great. Hammerhead populations tend to be diminished between late Feb - early to mid April. For mantas, you should perhaps consider an itinerary that includes Cabo Marshall. Unless you have a lame dive guide who doesn't know where to guide you, odds are superb you will see mantas there.

Hi, thanks for the info! I will try to come in May in that case, as i would love to see as much marine life as possible, especially the hammerheads. I know that the whalesharks are unlikely in that time, but as long as i see lots of other stuff-i would be just as happy. And thanks for the tip on manatas-i will definitely look for itinerary with Cabo Marshall.
really can't wait to go!

I was in the Galapagos in late May and we saw everything - huge numbers of hammerheads and dolphins, plus a whale shark, mantas, many other rays, silky and Galapagos sharks, and a mola mola. Sunny every day, the water was in the mid 70s in all but one location, and the currents weren't crazy. I feel like we got the best combination of comfortable diving with still lots to see that we could have. :) Here is my trip report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/so...apagos-trip-report-wolf-buddy-liveaboard.html

Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom