Galapagos Humboldt Explorer Review 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last year, in mid November, my oldest daughter & I began discussion of where we would go diving in 2011. We decided to check out the popular liveaboard companies that we have enjoyed the last several years, & when I dialed into the Explorer website I happen to hit the home run of “specials”…2 for 1 aboard the Galapagos Humboldt Explorer. It didn’t take a second thought – we were going.

So on New Year’s Day @ 6am, we hopped on an AA flight from Mpls. to Quito. Per suggested by Jennifer @ Explorer, we allowed a full day in our schedule before meeting @ the airport again, to join others on our flight to San Cristobal. We wanted to do some exploring of this beautiful city in Ecuador on Sunday, so I did a search on TripAdvisor for top “things to do” in Quito. I discovered a mountain bike tour company that happened to meet just a few blocks from the hotel Jennifer booked for us. After meeting there, we happily discovered that two other folks biking with us were also joining us on the Humboldt the next day. Our incredible guide, Diego drove the 6 of us a little more than an hour out of town to the world’s highest active volcano, Cotopaxi. We began our bike @ nearly 15,000 ft (a tour NOT to done after a week of diving!) & spent much of the day getting our way through amazing countryside to the bottom.

The next morning we met several other divers @ the airport. After an Explorer rep gathered & checked in all our bags together (to avoid the overage wt. fees) we were off to the islands. We unfortunately encountered a 2 hour delay at our stop in Guayquil & so when boarding the Humboldt, the crew was extremely rushed to get us settled in (barely!) & off to the nearby dive site (by panga) for our checkout dive. I have to right away note what a fantastic crew we had on this boat. Peter, the head dive master, gave a brief but thorough briefing on general aspects of getting in & out of the pangas & basic dive operation procedures. Peter grew up on the islands & has been guiding both dive & land excursions for many years. He was easily the most experienced & knowledgeable dive master I’ve encounter in my nearly 10 years of diving. He not only facilitated as the “safety marshal” while diving, but served as the boat director & naturalist as well. The other DM William, although quite a jovial character, was also very good. These two guys were the ONLY ones of the entire crew that spoke English – this did not however, diminish the professional & courteous capabilities of the rest of the crew.

Just two dives on day one, the checkout dive (maybe 5’ vis?...barely saw a few sea lions playing) & North Seymour – both pretty chilly water temps: 72. Then off to Darwin all night. After a pretty tame crossing, we began #1 of 8 dives for the two days @ 8am. Let the show begin. Hammerheads everywhere, but on this first dive….divers everywhere. The Galapagos Sky was also moored nearby, & they happened to drop all their divers down to the same barnacle covered “theater” that we were at. Currents were strong, but I quickly discovered, if you dropped down the wall just a bit, & pulled away 6 to 8 ft the current diminished quite a bit (not always though!), & you could hover with some very light fining (much easier to operate a video rig). Per the advise of many on this forum I picked up some $20 XS Kevlar “bug grabbers” gloves & wow did they perform – hardly any wear @ all from a whole week of hangin’ on! My daughter & I each wore 5mm full wetsuits with 3mm hooded vests. With the 77 degree temps in the north islands, we were quite comfortable, in the southern islands, chilled. We spent nearly all of our dives @ around 60’. In fact there was so little variation in our depth that I regretfully assumed I didn’t need to manual white balance my video cam as often, so I had several unusable shots for my final video. Other sightings: Dolphins everywhere, Sea Horses, a few Galapagos & Silky sharks, several Spotted Eagle, Diamond, Marble, Mobula rays. We knew we were just out of whale shark season, so it was no surprise “Mr Big” eluded us.

After our two days @ Darwin, we motored off to Wolf for 4 dives. The vis was significantly worse – the DM’s even commented that it was pretty bad. Here we encountered lots of free swimming morays, HUGE schools of Bonitos, Green & Hawksbill turtles, & of course lots of schooling Hammers. My favorite dive was the “Caves”. After making our way in & out of 3 separate swim-thrus, we ventured out into the blue against a nasty current to make our way to the “washing machine” – a pinnacle rising up to 15’ below the surface. Here we clung to rocks with all our might while our bodies were flung around all over the place by chaotic currents from every direction. My daughter managed to snap a shot of me, with the exhaust bubbles going horizontal from my reg! What a blast – it reminded me of the final scene in the movie “Twister” when the 2 were strapped to some pipes getting pummeled by a tornado overhead. Our last dive @ Wolf took us down to 100 ft, where we encountered the bizarre red lipped batfish. Even though I froze my tail-end off (2 thermal clines – 66 degrees), I was glad to get some video & still shots. Next: the crossing to Isabela – an all night rollercoaster. Both my daughter & I are fortunate in that we don’t get seasick, but a few on board had a rough night even with their meds. We had a lower cabin nearest the bow & I swear I woke up a few times with air between me & the bed!

Back to colder water temps: 72 or so. The highlight of our 2 dives for the day – giant, dense schools of Black Striped Salemas. I literally was diving solo several times – lost sight of everybody within just 4 or 5 ft! ‘Saw several White Tipped sharks lingering off the sandy bottom through the walls of fish as well as many very active Diamond Stingrays & then finally as began to ascend, a nice big Manta overhead. After lunch, we all jumped into our respective assigned pangas, & the DM’s gave us a nice relaxing shore tour of the island, talking about the various birds, iguanas, sea & fur lions etc.

Our last day of diving brought us to Cousins Rock. The 1st dive began promptly @ 6am…too dark, too cold, & lousy visibility. My daughter actually took some nice still shots of the “small stuff” – colorful Nudibranchs & Starfish, various Hawkfish, & of course Sea Lions. I would suggest skipping the 1st morning dive & just doing the 2nd. We then disembarked for the land visit on Santa Cruz Island, where we were first bussed to a Galapagos Tortoise refuge site followed by a native style barbeque, & then bussed back to town. Here we visited the Darwin Research Center & then strolled the streets of this rather commercialized, yet eclectic town.

An unforgettable trip for both of us, a memory of diving scenes found nowhere on this planet. I give the crew very high marks, the chef above & beyond expectation (I love Latin style food – some do not), & the boat rather small, but efficiently laid out. The best feature of the Humboldt is no doubt the cabins – very spacious, excellent beds & a VERY spacious bathroom. I however did not care for the layout of the dive deck. I really felt sorry for the people on the lower stern area – very crowded, as this was where the showers were located as well as the general traffic path to board the pangas. I was dismayed too, (as had been reported on earlier reviews&#8230:wink: that there was NEVER a general safety briefing. I had to on my own, make a conscious mental note of where the nearest fire exit was & where the life boats were located. All in all I truly got well more than what I paid for with the Humboldt Explorer.

Galapagos Islands Diving 2011 on Vimeo

Attachments

• Cotapaxi Bike (Medium).JPG
    Cotapaxi Bike (Medium).JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 252
  • Hammer Pair (Medium).JPG
    Hammer Pair (Medium).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Hammer School (Medium).JPG
    Hammer School (Medium).JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Eagle (Medium).JPG
    Eagle (Medium).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Washing Machine (Medium).JPG
    Washing Machine (Medium).JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Wolf (Medium).JPG
    Wolf (Medium).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 264
looks nothing like our trip to galapagos on the humboldt. We didn't have a explorer rep meet us in Quito airport, and we had thermocline down to 60 deg on our 2nd real dive, which made my bare hand numb. It was gloves on every dive after that.

looks nothing like our trip to galapagos on the humboldt. We didn't have a explorer rep meet us in Quito airport, and we had thermocline down to 60 deg on our 2nd real dive, which made my bare hand numb. It was gloves on every dive after that.

Who did you book your trip on the Humboldt through? Explorer Ventures? That is who I am booking through and I'm wondering what their service is like...

I'd actually second Lwang's opinion of the Humboldt (I was on his trip). Of all the liveaboards I've taken (upwards of 15), I'd rate this one in the bottom third of the one's I've taken, from the standpoint of mediocre food and service, quality of the dive guides, and overall organization. For the price of Galapagos liveaboards, I think one should expect only the best in every single area. It didn't help that the diving was not spectacular our trip (I found the Socorro's a much better trip at a fraction of the price). I will say that if someone is "dead set" on doing the Galapagos, the periodic discount Explorer offers of 50% off will at least make it more in range of what more divers could afford. While I booked through an independent agent, I corresponded many times with Explorer via email (Jennifer), and them very organized and prompt in their responses, something that didn't seem to always translate to the boat's operation.

ocdiver1, Lwang,

Where was your trip to the Galapagos?

cheers,

JK

I'd actually second Lwang's opinion of the Humboldt (I was on his trip). Of all the liveaboards I've taken (upwards of 15), I'd rate this one in the bottom third of the one's I've taken, from the standpoint of mediocre food and service, quality of the dive guides, and overall organization. For the price of Galapagos liveaboards, I think one should expect only the best in every single area. It didn't help that the diving was not spectacular our trip (I found the Socorro's a much better trip at a fraction of the price). I will say that if someone is "dead set" on doing the Galapagos, the periodic discount Explorer offers of 50% off will at least make it more in range of what more divers could afford. While I booked through an independent agent, I corresponded many times with Explorer via email (Jennifer), and them very organized and prompt in their responses, something that didn't seem to always translate to the boat's operation.

ours was pretty much as listed on the website...after one check out dive, 2 dives at Bartolome, 2 full days at Wolf, 1 1/2 at Darwin, leaving early as we just weren't seeing much, 1/2 day Cousin's Rock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom