Galapagos Islands vs Raja Ampat & Diving with sea lions and iguanas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ashantiashanti

Contributor
Reaction score
Heya guys,

For years my girlfriend and I have been dreaming about Galapagos Islands, but haven't made the trip yet due to the price of getting there from Europe and the Live-aboard prices. We might get the opportunity to go to S.America after the summer and might consider trying to find a liveaboard in the Galapagos. However, this will drastically reduce the budget of our trip, so we are not sure yet.

One thing that could help would be if someone can comment on the similarities/differences between Raja Ampat (which we have dived for almost two weeks,) and Galapagos. Apart from the schooling hammerheads, are the Galapagos better?

Are the hammerheads and occasional whale-sharks the deal breaker?

If so, then we won't go on a liveaboard but would still consider visiting the islands. But that would be if it is posible to snorkel or dive with the sea-lions and iguanas?

Thanks a bunch.

we just dove and land toured the galapagos about a month ago. we have dove indonesia a few times before (wakatobi and bali). we will be in raja ampat is about 3 weeks for 10 days. indonesia and the galapagos are very different IMO. the biggest difference is that the water is cold in the galapagos and the viz is not very hot. we also spent a week doing land tours (3 days santa cruz, 4 days isabebella).

galapagos is fantastic diving but very different than indonesia. because of the colder water, get a lot more seals and other stuff. we dove the galapagos from the galapagos agressor III liveaboard. here are a few videos from our trip that will give you an idea what it is like. they were shot by the divemasters. it is something you need to see at least once in your life.

seal with fishball vid (punta carrion)
http://tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/seal_with_fishball_long_web-Desktop.m4v

hammerhead sharks and galapagos sharks vid (wolf island)
http://tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/hammerhead_and_galapagos_sharks-Desktop.m4v

marine iguanas vid (cabo douglas)
http://tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/marine_iguanas_cabo_douglas-Desktop.m4v
our dive boat.
P4226621-adj-small.jpg

hanging out waiting for sharks to come by (wolf island). typically you sit in the rocks at about 70 ft in the current waiting for them to come by.
P4256803-adj-small.jpg

sierra negra volcano (isabella island) the crater is like 7 or 8 miles across.
P5027164-adj-small.jpg

bartolome island cove (where they shot part of master and commander)
P4226579-adj-small.jpg

I only did a few dives (and a lot of snorkeling) in the Galapagos - honestly, the best iguana and sea lion encounters were snorkeling; the pups are very playful, and around everywhere. Hammerheads obviously require diving, and it is a destination I'd love to go back to for diving, but for now the price is the major limiting factor for us as well. Galapagos is colder water diving, and nothing at all like Raja (which we visited in April this year), which is an explosion of color and extremely varied life where the Galapagos is much more rocks and bigger animals (really huge green turtles, hammerheads, sea lions, and so forth). Even the limited diving we did in the Galapagos was more challenging than the diving we did in Raja.

From a personal perspective, Raja was 'better' diving in terms of color, variety, and sheer biodiversity. But the Galapgos was unique in different ways, and we didn't even go to the really good bits (yet). Apples and oranges. Sometimes you're in the mood for one, sometimes the other.

My main wonder where that bit of the pacific is concerned is whether to save up for a Galapagos liveaboard or Cocos Island (in a theoretical future where I have more money and more time).

Galapagos and Indonesia are my two favourite dive locations in the world but they are so unlike each other to be almost incomparable. My background: 5 Galapagos liveaboards, land-based diving from Santa Cruz, San Cristobal and Isabela, 2 Raja liveaboards, 5 Komodo liveaboards (and myriad other Indo trips - see my profile).

For me the most breathtaking things about Galapagos diving are the intimate encounters with sharks, sea lions, dolphins and enormous schools of fish and the incredible wildness of Darwin and Wolf. Indonesia OTOH is about beautiful, colourful reefs and incredible biodiversity in fish, critters and corals, as well as really diverse underwater topography (full disclosure: I love Komodo and Lembeh but am still lukewarm on Raja despite two disparate 14 day liveaboards).

Galapagos highlights:
- intimate encounters with enormous schools of hammerheads, individual hammerheads, huge Galapagos sharks, blacktip sharks, silky sharks, porpoises, dolphins, massive whale sharks including pregnant females (whale sharks should not be "occasional" on liveaboard trips unless you go out of season, or with a weak operator, or are very unlucky). The quality of these encounters far exceeds my experience with e.g. Mozambique and Bunaken whale sharks, Caribbean and Hawaiian dolphins, schools of fish most other places in the world, etc.
- schools of rays (mustard rays, eagle rays); mantas
- sea lions and Galapagos fur seals (fur seals were a special trip)
- penguins (topside, floating, and even underwater if you are lucky)
- endemic Galapagos fish (and a few critters)
- large and mating turtles
- large tuna
- schooling juvenile Galapagos sharks and we saw orcas from pangas at Darwin (but not underwater, and the whale sharks vanished as a result)
- enormous schools of fish, including rivers of creoles
- This is not even including mola mola, feeding marine iguanas and Galapagos horn sharks which I have not seen personally yet.
- I have to also mention the incredible topside wildlife encounters, again, often very intimate (sea lions including juveniles, iguanas, tortoises, flightless cormorants, frigates, red and blue footed boobies including chicks, Darwin's finches, etc)

Indo highlights:
- gorgeous fishy reefs
- mind boggling diversity of corals, fish and critters, including rare critters and awesome cephalopods
- some large schools of fish (by large I mean 100 or larger)
- terrific diversity in underwater topography (muck, pinnacles, walls, bommies on sand, blue water mangroves, coral slopes, bubbling volcanic sites...)
- some sites you can have beautiful visibility

Major differences:
- Galapagos has much colder water. You can easily have high 50s *F in Isabela and San Cristobal (Darwin & Wolf are warmer)
- you are not looking for 'coral reefs' in the Galapagos. While there is coral, most of the diving is around life-encrusted boulders or walls, or there are some blue water drifts.
- Galapagos has lower vis generally than Raja, though in Northern hemisphere winter you can get better vis in Galapagos and I've also experienced some really low vis in Indo, including in Raja
- I actually prefer Indonesian manta encounters to Galapagos for the clearer water and longer encounters (e.g. Manta Alley and Magic Mountain)
- My experience is that the currents in Galapagos are far more manageable (and usually weaker) than those in Indonesia. I've seen more un-fightable down currents and side currents in Indonesia. That said, most of my Raja dives didn't have strong currents.
- Galapagos dive times are generally shorter both because of the conditions and the dive profiles (e.g. 3 different liveaboard companies all limited dives at Darwin and Wolf to 50 min). I had dives with land-based Galapagos ops that were even shorter.

As you point out, there is always the option to do Galapagos topside with land-based diving. Definitely you can dive with sea lions from land-based ops. I've had some wonderful sea lion interactions on SCUBA, but other dives where divers were ignored (some sites seem better than others for sea lion encounters). You might need a naturalist cruise if you're dead set on seeing marine iguanas feeding underwater. While they are pretty common topside, I'm not sure how easy it is catch them feeding. Definitely you can see groups of hammerheads doing land-based diving, just not as reliably, in as large numbers or as close as those in Darwin and Wolf. You can do some wonderful topside day trips with land-based ops.

Whether you will love Galapagos as much as or more than Raja I think really depends on what you love about diving.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom