Galapagos Live Aboard total cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAMA6977

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just trying to get my mind around the total cost (airlines, hotels, on shore expenses, live aboard, etc.) for trip to Galapagos. Seems that finding cost estimate is buried in different sites so would help if someone who has been would advise. Also, where to stay prior to boarding boat? Really some great reviews about dive and life on the boat but can't find comments on logistics of getting there and getting back.

if you have a particular liveaboard in mind their website will often have useful info on getting there, possibly suggestions on where to stay before/after.

As far as cost estimates being buried various places, that's just a fact of trip research. Enjoy the research as part of the trip.

The logistics for Galapagos are not easy and can be confusing.
I work with the Humboldt Explorer, one of the 7 liveaboards currently operating in Galapagos and have listed further information below that should help you in booking your trip to Galapagos.

You first need to fly to mainland Ecuador at least one day before, then on to Galapagos the day of the charter. All current liveaboards depart from San Cristobal (SCY). I would strongly suggest allowing the liveaboard to organize your flights from mainland Ecuador to Galapagos. they normally have flights blocked and will make sure you get to the right island on the right day.
You will need to fly into Quito (UIO) or Guayaquil (GYE) in Ecuador at least one day before the trip. You can fly American through Miami, Continental through Houston, Delta through Atlanta or LAN Ecuador or COPA out of Miami.
I recommend flying in to Ecuador two days before the trip so you can be sure to have all your luggage.
The flights to Galapagos go early morning on the day of the trip from both Quito and Guayaquil. All flights stop in Guayaquil. Flights will cost between $400 and $550 depending on the month and which airport in Ecuador you fly out of.
Flights return from Galapagos mid to late afternoon on the day you get off the boat. The only airlines that will work to fly out same day from Quito are Delta or American out of Quito or American out of Guayaquil. They have recently added overnight flights on American. For all the others you will need to spend another night in Ecuador on your way out.

Your costs in total will be as follows:
\Liveaboard - $3295-$5495 depending on boat, month, specials offered
International flights - from Miami they normally run between $600 and $800 to Guayaquil or QUito
Domestic flights- QUito or Guayaquil to San Cristobal - between $400 and $550
Hyperbaric chamber fee - $35- charged on most boats
Galapagos National Park fee-paid on arrival in Galapagos in cash $100
Galapagos tourist card -paid on departure for Galapagos $10 cash
Last night's meal- most boats do this on island and it is at your own expense

I can make recommendations where to stay in Quito or Guayaquil. As a note the new airport in QUito will be opening in February. It is located outside the city and at least an hour away from any of the hotels. If you are traveling after February you may seriously want to look at flying in and out of Guaayquil instead unless you plan to spend some time sightseeing around Quito. Guayaquil will be far easier to get to and from hotels.

I hope this helps. I am happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Jennifer

My two cents.

Check with your local dive shop that also does dive travel. Many times they run trips to exotic locations and handle everything. Makes for a much more relaxed trip, especially if it is your first time. If they are not running a trip to your particular location they may be able to provide answers to your questions.

Back
Top Bottom