Galapagos Night Dive At Wolf Island Anchorage Worth Doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be on the new Calypso liveaboard later in September and they have an optional night dive at Wolf Island dive site called Anchorage. This will likely be the 5th dive for that day so I would have seen most of the magic during the daytime dives already. For those of you who have done it, is this optional night dive worth doing?

I have not seen too many night dives at Galapagos on YouTube and the few I've seen actually don't look that great with mostly sandy bottoms (which will be the case at Anchorage from what they tell me) and some smaller marine life here and there.

I didn't have an opportunity to dive it at night but I would do every dive at Wolf that I could. It's a big trip, soak it all up.

I did a night dive at Wolf on April 29, 2018, it was probably the best night dive I've ever done. Dropped down and an Eagle Ray swam by in front of me. Several turtles, many Green Morays out hunting, one took a fish from underneath the guide, lobster, hermit crabs, rays, a huge Grinning Tun... The dive was limited to 45 minutes and the time flew by. The max depth was 56 ft, avg depth 43 ft, warmest dive of the trip at 78 degrees. I don't recall or did not hear the name of the site, it was off the Aggressor. The dive was certainly not boring sand.

I would not pass up the opportunity for a night dive at Wolf :)

I did a night dive at Wolf on April 29, 2018, it was probably the best night dive I've ever done. Dropped down and an Eagle Ray swam by in front of me. Several turtles, many Green Morays out hunting, one took a fish from underneath the guide, lobster, hermit crabs, rays, a huge Grinning Tun... The dive was limited to 45 minutes and the time flew by. The max depth was 56 ft, avg depth 43 ft, warmest dive of the trip at 78 degrees. I don't recall or did not hear the name of the site, it was off the Aggressor. The dive was certainly not boring sand.

I would not pass up the opportunity for a night dive at Wolf :)

This sounds like a great dive but unfortunately it does not sound like the dive the Calypso is telling they are now permitted to do as a night dive. The one they told me about is the Anchorage and it's actually pretty deep at 100 ft and with a sandy bottom. With that depth, I don't imagine it would be a very long dive either.

This sounds like a great dive but unfortunately it does not sound like the dive the Calypso is telling they are now permitted to do as a night dive. The one they told me about is the Anchorage and it's actually pretty deep at 100 ft and with a sandy bottom. With that depth, I don't imagine it would be a very long dive either.
Sorry, why would you go to 100 feet to dive in the sand at night? I would simply make sure it is not a better dive

I have to say categorically... if I was unable to find any YouTube videos of a dive that was on offer, that would make it an absolute essential dive in my book....

Is the purpose to see the red-lipped batfish? My kids did it. We opted out, not up for 100ft as 5th dive aside from the fact we were cold. They didn’t see the batfish

Is the purpose to see the red-lipped batfish? My kids did it. We opted out, not up for 100ft as 5th dive aside from the fact we were cold. They didn’t see the batfish
We saw Red-Lipped Batfish at Punta Vicente Roca off Isabella, along with sea robins and horn sharks. This dive was to nearly 100 feet and it was 65 degrees. This was the dive right after a fantastic Mola mola dive at a different section of the same site These two dives were definitely worth it, despite the coldest water of the trip. Dress warmly, I was toasty in my 7 mm, 5/3 mm hooded vest, 3 mm gloves. Many of the other divers were underdressed and quite cold

We saw the Red-Lipped Batfish on the sand at 100ft at the anchorage and plenty of life amongst rocks and boulders all the way down to the bottom. Only a small sandy patch which fortunately made it fast to find the Batfish - not much bottom time and everyone wanted a picture so most only got to see it. Plenty of other life on the way down but I might not do that dive again as although we were all very experienced divers, I think it was pushing the limits to make such a dive after a full 4 dives that day. It was very cold at the bottom and quite a surge when we came back to the surface so I would not necessarily recommend it. I believe that all the boats that now offer it do so as an exchange for the 4th dive that day. I don't believe they will offer 4 day dives and a night dive, but I maybe wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom