Galapagos on the Deep Blue Oct. 12-22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manuel Sam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just returned from a great 10-day trip aboard the Deep Blue. I was very fortunate to be able to join a charter headed by Mike Convery from the Pittsburgh Scuba Center thru the intercession of Galapagos Adventures.

This was my fourth trip to the Galapagos since 2002, and my second aboard the Deep Blue, having last been on this boat in October 2005.

The boat was in great shape - perhaps even better than when I had last seen it two years ago. We had 10 crew members for 16 guests - pretty good by any standard.

And we had Roberto, whom we had as a chef on the trip two years ago, serving what is arguably the best food on any Galapagos liveaboard and among the best food that I've ever had on a liveaboard anywhere. His "fritada" or Roast Pork Ecuador style, is to die for, as were the colossal shrimps (7-11 shrimps to the pound - makes an extra jumbo shrimp look like baby shrimp) over pasta......(for lunch, mind you).

As for the diving, the first five full days of diving were the stuff that people dream about. We spent the first four up north in Wolf and Darwin with decent water temps (low 70's) and very decent viz (60-80 ft.). We had good schooling hammerhead, Galapagos sharks, eagle rays and bottlenose dolphins action just on the first day alone diving the Landslide at Wolf.

The second and third days were spent at Darwin. I had often heard about the mythical Galapagos whaleshark but had never actually seen one in my three prior trips here; but 5 minutes into the first dive at The Arch, the myth was a myth no more.

2 days at Darwin = 6 dives = 30 whaleshark sightings, ranging from ~30 ft. to ~45 ft.

And to top it off, on our last dive at the Landslide at Wolf on the fourth day, we added two more sightings for a trip total of 32.

On the fifth day, we headed back south with some trepidation at the prospects of diving the western tip of Isabela, at a site called Punta Vicente Roca, which is known colloquially as The Icebox for its cold waters and pea soup viz.

The Icebox lived up to its name and reputation: 57 degrees and 15 ft. viz. But in two dives there we had a seahorse, a horn shark, sea lions, penguins, and three Mola-Molas, one of which was about half the size of the inflatable. These were my 3rd, 4th, and 5th sightings in >20 years of diving.

After five days, I could have gone home at this point and called it a good dive year, never mind a good trip. As it was, the ensuing days had us in 59-64 degree waters with no more than 30 ft. viz in Cabo Marshall, Cousins, and Gordon Rocks, and the sightings were rather slim.

The bottom line is that in spite of the politics and the constant encroachment by those who look at a shark and only see a dollar sign, the Galapagos remain a world class dive destination. Hopefully they will preserve them so that we can continue to enjoy the diving there for many years to come.

I've attached a few pix, but being new to this forum, I have no idea if they will show.

Attachments

• Mola03R.JPG
    Mola03R.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 79
  • WShark39R.JPG
    WShark39R.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 98
  • WShark02R.JPG
    WShark02R.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 74
  • WShark30R.JPG
    WShark30R.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 72
Great trip report! It would appear in the second pic, that a diver is either "riding" that beautiful beast (I hope not!!) or is about to get swiped by the tail?!

Thanks.

That was the dive guide, and he had both hands busy with his video camera. He was pretty adamant about not touching, let alone riding. We had the current with us and the whaleshark was not going really fast, so we didn't get whacked. My next shot (not attached) showed that the dive guide broke off to his left shortly after the first shot.

I was on this trip with Manuel Sam and I can back up his claim that no one on this trip mis handled sea life in anyway on purpose or otherwise.

I can also concur that this trip was a phenomenal trip! I loved the food. I never eat cauliflower and I ate every dish that was served with cauliflower in it and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The crew was top notch. The diving was the best that I have done to date.

Manuel Sam is not in any way overexaggerating.

Back
Top Bottom