Galapagos sea lion massacre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's horrible. The only infinit thing in the Universe is man's own stupidity.

I booked a cruise in May. I'm worried :(

So does that mean it isn't protected? Or does it mean the authorities on Galapagos refuse to enforce their own laws? I've never been there so I really don't know all the politics of the region.

It's a combination many factors: having a huge area to patrol, very little infrastructure to support any real monitoring(last I was there they had a single boat for the purpose, and I wouldn't set foot on a boat in that condition), a huge influx of people from the mainland, and a government that will either acquiesce to or be in cahoots with the fishermen. Conservation efforts are pretty much in the hands of NGOs at this point.

The Galapagos Archipelago is a province of Ecuador. Although they understand that the increased tourism revenue is dependant on the protection of the resources, they seem to be failing. Ecuador has plenty of money to patrol the islands. It just doesn't seem to be a super high priority at this time. Reports of growing instances of litter, trash, and pollution have many concerned about the fate of the islands ecology long-term.

The way to make a difference is to not visit. The islands are under pressure from high demand. Hurting them in the pocket book and voicing the reason as outrage against lack of enforcement is really the only way to get them to raise the priority.

Maybe this is the one place on Earth that we should ban human pressence in the first place. Ah hell, let's just destroy it as well. Might as well go for the trifecta.

Unbelievable. That is so sad.

Mempilot-

I hear what you are saying about visiting, but there are two schools of thought. The other one is that if people don't go, those wanting to exploit the location for less environmentally friendly profit will say "see, you need us to make money." Its a hard call and I don't know what the right answer is here. Here's hoping that UNESCO can bring some additional political pressure to bear and help stem the tide. At the end of the day though, banning some/all traffic there only leaves the ones who will go illegally (and I bet they aren't going to go diving with Whale Sharks). Not picking a fight here at all, just joining in the discussion. They are amazing islands and I wish I knew what the solution was.

IJM,

I agree with you. Just frustrated with stuff like this. ie. Japanese whaling, dolphin culling, etc...

Very sad news. I hope those bastards suffer worse fate than their victims. What goes around comes around...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom