Galapagos Trip Report: Wolf Buddy Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving from pangas/zodiacs is not my favorite, but I am small. For my husband it is not an issue at all. So your feeling about it probably depends on your size and strength. From my perspective, both getting in and out had their challenges...

You geared up on deck and then the crew helped you into the panga and passed you your fins (and camera). One guy, the oldest diver in our group, got into the panga first and then they passed him his BC, etc. Putting fins on in full gear in a moving panga was a bit wobbly for me, but I managed not to fall backward into the water or forward onto my face. :)

Once you surfaced, you first handed off your camera, then took off your weight belt and passed it into into the panga, and then your BC. My husband generally assisted me before taking off his gear. One time I was on my own and I did manage to lift the weight belt just high enough for the panga driver to grab, but he had to pluck my BC from the water. Keep in mind that, with the combination of extra salty water and a thick semi-dry suit, we were super weighted. Once your gear was off, you either hoisted yourself into the panga (fins on) or took off your fins and climbed the ladder. All of the women used the ladder.

Not as easy and comfortable as jumping directly from the main boat, but worth it for the great diving!
They had a ladder in the panga! I've never seen a panga with a ladder. Coolness!
I'm so jealous of your trip. We went for a delayed honeymoon trip. What a lifetime experience!
hoping to someday get back, but so many other trips on the bucket list!

LOL - yes, the ladders were very helpful to have...we did Rangiroa a few years ago, too, and I also had to be boosted/pulled into the zodiac. Not very dignified! :) But that dive shooting through the pass was amazing!

Tracy - I agree - there are many great places we've been, but still so many more on the list...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom