Galapagos with 19 dives - advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I remember that site in the flower gardens with a hell of current. My idiot "insta-buddy" ripped out your lines during that dive. Damn macro-photographers.

I have a hard time figuring out what is an "intermediate" site where I can start to get used to currents, and get properly prepared for somewhere like Komodo or the Galapagos, for example. So do I just go to the "easy" places for 100 dives and figure at some point something will happen that's out of the ordinary? Is there a way to find sites that will give me good preparation for the tough currents and issues mentioned above?

One of my old instructors did a Galapagos live-aboard trip; her trip report provides some of the conditions you may face.

I've wondered myself if Cocos Island would be a good 'intermediate' step, offering big animal action far from the mainland, but warmer water?

Richard.

I am attending a bouyancy course next month in a quarry in England, which will take me to 19 dives . . . I have just read with alarm that it is recommended to have done 100 dives in order to dive in the Galapagos! . . . I really would like to dive in the Galapagos - what do you think?
Lest your original question get lost in the broader discussion, I would recommend that you not attempt to dive the Gallapagos in the foreseeable future. It is great diving. I can be strenuous diving, in unpredictable conditions. You may be a super diver at 19 dives. I certainly wasn't at 190 dives. Your time, and your money, would be better spent at this point engaging in less challenging diving that is still enjoyable. If you are serious about developing your diving skills, you will may eventually be able to enjoy diving the Gallapagos. They probably aren't going anywhere.

Reactions: RJP
Well, if the DM hadn't been wearing split fins, s/he might have been able to swim back...

(Sorry, I didn't even try to resist)

I would think diving Galapagos or Cocos would be ill advised with about a dozen non-training dives. You may live, I doubt you would appreciate the opportunity. Let us know what you decided to do, if you are able.

One of my old instructors did a Galapagos live-aboard trip; her trip report provides some of the conditions you may face.

I've wondered myself if Cocos Island would be a good 'intermediate' step, offering big animal action far from the mainland, but warmer water?

Richard.

I haven't been to the Galapagos or Cocos, but that has sort of been my thinking, since these places have long been on my bucket list. Maybe I will do some more temperate-water diving in, say, California, then do a Cocos trip, and eventually work my way up to the Mt. Everest of big animal action dives (well, it is to me anyway). I did a couple of dives in Komodo with hairy currents, and it was not all that fun for me.

Did Cocos twice, it’s not a piece of cake, but not near as much current during dives. A lot of 100 ft dives watch Hammers. Did Galapagos and was ripped off the bottom and thrown around. Everybody separated and one diver was lost for quite awhile on other side of the island. Personally I like Cocos a little more and you can see Whalesharks at times.

RJP: and then what happened? Ever heard from again?

RJP: and then what happened? Ever heard from again?

Dunno... not my vid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom