Galileo Sol Battery Replacement Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TreyH3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a Galileo Sol new in 2011. This year (2017) on a dive I saw an alarm that the battery was low. Thinking it was the one in the computer, I had it replaced. On the next dive, I got the same message.

Turns out it was the battery in the transponder that is on the regulator. I followed the directions and unscrewed the three screw and took the unit out. The battery replacement was easy and the local dive shop had the battery.

I replaced it and then tried to sync it to the computer to no avail. I found a video on Youtube that said a particular setting on the computer needed to be on. I checked and mine was set from the factory to off. Set it to on and tried again to sync the unit to no avail.

This is really frustrating that something as simple as a battery replacement has become so difficult. Is there something I'm missing here?

One place I contacted asked me if I have updated my firmware. I haven't but, asked him, they didn't replace batteries with the version I have currently?

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Double check to see if the battery was placed into the transmitter correctly. The most common thing I've seen is people inserting the +/- in the wrong direction.

Thanks and yes, installed the same as the previous battery was. The side with the battery description written on it (I believe positive) side up.

I called a local dive shop that sells these and they said they have seen this a few times and it requires sending in to Scubapro. Was hoping to avoid that but may have no option

Do you have a meter? I have purchased a dead battery from my local scubapro dealer before! It turned out they had a whole shipment of bad batteries that had come in.

Also, Scubapro have switched the battery they are using in the transmitters. They changed to a model that puts out slightly more voltage - which solves some problems with low battery alarms happening too soon after a batter replacement.

I posted a thread with lots of details here: Scubapro Galileo Luna Or Sol Transmitter Battery

Right now the batteries for the transmitter are on Amazon for $7. Amazon.com: Buying Choices: OmniCel ER14335 3.6V 1.65Ah 2/3AA Lithium Button Top Battery

I don't have a meter but, this was a new battery and didn't get it from Scubapro. It's a standard issue battery (I forget the number, I think CR2560?) that any CVS or Walgreens carries. The one in the computer, yes, that is specific and only available at the dive shop. I replaced that one previously thinking that was the issue and the new one worked just fine and the computer is 100% charged.

The issue was when I replaced the one in the transponder and I tried two different batteries (two different brands) so I'll willing to bet 1 or both weren't defective or dead.

The local dive shop says they have seen this before and I spoke with Scubapro and they seem to think the transponder failed and more than likely has to be replaced. Suggested I take the unit back to the dive shop and have them send it in.

Ah I forgot that older transmitters used those button cell batteries. I guess I have nothing good to offer you other than my condolences.

No harm. No foul. I put this out there to get any advice as I have none where this is concerned.

I believe the unit just failed either when the old battery was taken out or the new one put in. ScubaPro didn't sound too optimistic about it and said it probably needs to be replaced.

I'm well out of warranty. Any idea what this would cost?

Thanks again.

Scubapro is pretty draconian with price enforcement among authorized scubapro dealers. $375 is what you'll pay officially. However, all scubapro dealers can offer an in store 10% discount that they aren't allowed to advertise. Some tack on rules like "you have to buy a whole scuba setup to get the 10%". That's a shop rule and not a scubapro rule.

If you're willing to wait for shipping, I found the tx on a British site for 182 British pounds here: Uwatec Galileo Sol Transmitter | Dive Computer Accessories | Deep Blue Dive

Exchange rate right now is 1gbp = 1.22 USD so it should be $222.04USD if I did the math right. Even with their taxes and shipping it should be significantly cheaper than $375. The shop may or may not want to ship internationally. I've bought several things from the UK personally, and it has worked out for me each time. I've never bought anything form that "deepbluedive.com," that's just a site I found on google.

If you're not in a huge hurry, post in the scubaboard classifieds that you're looking for a transmitter. There are two transmitters (for other computers) right at the top of the list for sale currently. Transmitters come up for sale pretty often. Classifieds: Computers, Gauges, Watches, Analyzers

If you've got any kind of electronics knowledge, you could take a shot at repairing it yourself. The transmitter is a very simple device with full size components. When I disassembled mine, I was shocked to discover just how simple it is. It should be fairly easy to work on and repair unless the ASIC or raido has failed.

I'm going to venture your transmitter failed which showed itself as a low battery alarm on the computer. I'd also venture that the battery in that transmitter was still good. hard to trouble shoot without a voltage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom