Gary Gentile researching for new book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I met with Gary and Marcie B. last Friday night in Portsmouth, NH as they were travelling back to Boston from snow-shoeing in Maine. Gary is beginning the process of researching wrecks for his next book covering New Hampshire and Maine. He is looking for Names, Dates sunk (if known) and Locations (preferably gps coordinates or if a shore dive, directions to dive site and compass bearings to wreck) of wrecks that are currently, actively being dived. They are also looking for people with boats, both ocean going and trailerable for fresh / salt water sites to take them out to the wrecks. Finally, they are looking for divers to dive with them as the visit the wrecks. Since they contacted our dive club for assistance, I have volunteered to try and pass along whatever information you in the New Hampshire / Maine diving community are willing to share. If you have boat, or a friend with a boat, know of a wreck or 2, and are willing to take Gary, Marcie and a some other divers out this might be a great opportunity to meet and dive with a legend. He'll also sign his books for you if you have one! Please PM me and I'll respond as soon as possible and compile a list of wrecks and volunteers. Gary and Marcie are looking to be back up in this area in April-May timeframe to begin diving . Anything you care to provide will be appreciated. If you have any questions, please PM me. Fresh water lakes such as Winnepesaukee and the Weetamoo wreck in Lake Sunpaee are on their list so if you know the locations of fresh water wrecks, please contact me.

Also, Gary's latest book, Wrecks of Massachussetts North is scheduled for release in April. Should be interesting for those of us on the North side of the Cape. Covers North of the Cape to Stellwagon Bank to Cape Ann.

Thank you,

Timk
United Divers of New Hampshire

Tim thats a nice escapade you had there. Fun when you get to meet someone who publicizes diving like Gary does. Thanks for sharing that and I am glad that you got the opportunity to meet up with them to create more opportunities to assist the wreck diving community.

I thought his next book was going to be "Silent World Exposed - How Cousteau Stole the Aqua Lung".

I thought his next book was going to be "Silent World Exposed - How Cousteau Stole the Aqua Lung".

Nope. I'm pretty sure he just mentioned wrecks this time around. But ya never know, there just might be a story with that Cousteau / Aqua lung thing...

I take it you don't have any suggestions for wreck dives in Maine and New Hampshire, and based on your comment and living in Houston, I'll also assume your probably not going to offer the use of a boat?

Tim thats a nice escapade you had there. Fun when you get to meet someone who publicizes diving like Gary does. Thanks for sharing that and I am glad that you got the opportunity to meet up with them to create more opportunities to assist the wreck diving community.

Your quite right. They are two very interesting, and nice, people. I was awed a bit by Gary and amazed by Marcie's diving exploits as well. There's a good story on them diving the Andrea Doria this past summer off Marcies boat at Secret Squirrel Divers

I really hope we get some people to volunteer some good, divable wreck locations and time to dive with them this summer. Definately a great opportunity to have a good time with one of the foremost wreck divers in the world.

I see the popcorn is out USBB -- are we expecting something interesting?:wink:

Marcie contacted The United Divers of New Hampshire concerning an ice dive on the Lady of the Lake, an old steamship sunk in Lake Winnepesaukee, NH. Since the snowpack has been so heavy, the ice underneath did not have a chance to form well so our ice diving guru said no way -- not until conditions improve. Since I'm the club president, I sent along a few e-mails offering them our assistance should conditions get better and they wanted to make another try at it later in the season. This led to additional e-mail exchanges and the meeting last Friday in Portsmouth to discuss Gary's research for his latest book and what we could do to help lay the groundwork for this summers diving. Unfortunately, this wasn't met with all that much enthusiasm by the club members when I briefed them Monday at our monthly club meeting so I'm reaching out to the community at large. While I can read the NOAA wrecks database and find the wrecks on navigational charts as well as anyone, I am new to diving, don't have a boat so don't have to opportunity to go visit these wrecks unless I do a charter. But I have done the Poling and U-853! So Gary and Marcie are relying on the dive community up here to provide more accurate positions for divable wrecks so time is not wasted when they come up here to dive.

I think this is a great opportunity and I hope others see it that way as well. And I want to emphasize that any information I recieve I will forward with the persons name that sent it as Point of Contact (if they want) so they get credit for information. I'm just acting as a filter for them and am not out for anything other than to help out.

I see the popcorn is out USBB -- are we expecting something interesting?:wink:

I'll never tell! :rofl3:

Hope you get a chance to dive of some these wrecks and perhaps make some good memories along the way. Gary is certainly an accomplished guy. It would be a neat opportunity to dive with him.

Keep us posted on how the project is coming along.

. . . They are two very interesting, and nice, people. I was awed a bit by Gary and amazed by Marcie's diving exploits as well. There's a good story on them diving the Andrea Doria this past summer off Marcies boat at Secret Squirrel Divers

Yes, they are nice people, and alot of fun to dive with. Just don't try to get him up too early in the morning, or he may write about you doing so in one of his books:D! I have the pleasure of calling both of them friends, and let me say that any help you give to Gary and Marcie will be amply "repaid" with a solid friendship as well as fun and interesting dive outings.

Also, Gary's latest book, Wrecks of Massachussetts North is scheduled for release in April. Should be interesting for those of us on the North side of the Cape. Covers North of the Cape to Stellwagon Bank to Cape Ann.

Thank you,

Timk
United Divers of New Hampshire

Here is the Table of contents to the above referenced book:
GGMASSBOOK
I should have more information as well as the release date and cover art in a couple of weeks, which I will be posting on the website. IMHO, the Stellwagen section alone will be worth the price of the book.

Dive Safe,
Dennis

Thanks for the additional information Dennis. Definately keep us posted on the book release as I plan to buy early!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom