Gas management seminar ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This question is geared mostly to the less experienced divers out there ...

I'd like to get a read on whether there's interest in putting together a short (approximately 1 to 1.5 hours), informal seminar on air management. I would most likely be offering it at 5th Dimension in Issaquah.

The seminar would cover things like ...

- why applying basic air management technique is crucial to safe diving
- how to calculate your SAC rate in psi per minute
- the relationship between pressure and volume, how to convert from one to the other for your tank, and why you would want to know how to do this
- how to determine turn pressure and rock bottom (in psi) for your dive plan
- how to calculate the amount of air you will need for the dive you're planning to do

About half the seminar would be devoted to presentation ... the other half would be devoted to working through examples and answering questions.

I currently teach this stuff in my AOW ... but I find that a lot of divers really don't know (or apply) much in the way of air management technique beyond "end the dive with 500 psi" ... and even that without really knowing how to do it.

Would there be any general interest in this sort of a seminar? And would you be willing to pay a nominal cost ... say, $20 ... to attend it?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't know where I rate on the Experience Chart, but there is no way I could take a class like this from you and not learn something.

There is one major flaw in your idea. $20.00 is too cheap.

(Sometimes I really wish I lived on the other side of the state.)

Rick Inman:
There is one major flaw in your idea. $20.00 is too cheap.

It's a great value since Spare Air costs nearly 10 times that. I know which choice I would make, irregardless of the fact I would die before being seen with a Spare Air.*

* Pun intended? You choose. :)

I would also be interested if the class is in the Seattle area. Well, Issaquah isn't too far from Seattle...

Lindy

That would actually make a great recreational "Specialty Course", Gas Management.

I would say that it would be well worth 50 bucks for such a course and wouldn't think twice about paying that amount for the info you would get.

If you live around there, and don't know how to do that stuff or any of the terminology is foreign to you, sign up and take the course, you will not regret it.

Mark

I would definitely be interested, and $20 would be fine. This is something I know very little about.

For those of you who don't know Bob - let me tell you a thing or three about him. He is one of the finest instructors that I've come across in the Seattle area. I've taken a rescue course from him and was amazed by his teaching skills. I've also helped out on an AOW course that he taught and have viewed the curriculum that he wrote for it - very impressive. Bob is a thinking, caring, patient instructor/diver.

Bottom line if he is offering a course on anything - then sign up immediately!

I would take the course myself as I feel there's something to learn in everything. Perhaps knowing more than "have the biggest tank" would be helpful???

I learn from other instructors. I enjoy sitting in on their classes even in open water class. Not too long ago I enjoyed the approach an instructor used while demonstrating dive tables and I plan to steal from him.

how about setting ups a days diving before hand and i might fly up for the weekend..:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom