Gauge, where to put everything

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guppie

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking at SPG's and debating wrist mount or not. I'm thinking wrist mount computer (Versa Pro) and then brass pressure gauge (analog since this is my life) and a compass on other wrist.

Does this make sense or, being a rookie, am I missing something vital?

and my compass on a retractor clipped off to a D-ring on the left side. That way, I'm able to use the inflator/deflator on my J-115 BC with my left hand while using either the Vytec or compass with my right hand. I'm also able to use the Vytec on my right wrist and my compass in my left hand at the same time.

I'm a new diver, but this is what works for me; Computer (VT Pro) on right wrist, compass on left wrist and backup SPG clipped to BC.

I find it easy to read the computer on my right wrist and control the inflator/deflator with my left hand if need be. I'm usually not changing depth when using the compass, so having it on my left wrist is fine, if I do need to operate the inflator/deflator, then taking my eyes off the compass for a moment will not really make any difference and I just find it very easy to look at my wrist every so often rather than going for something attached to my BC.

Yep, after much experimentation with consoles, wrist mount, retractors, etc. I found that what PhilD is saying works best. As he said, you really don't need to be staring at your compass while you need to adjust buoyancy. If for some reason you need to, you can afford a quick use of your left hand and get back to the compass quickly.

One nice thing of not mounting your compass on the console (in addition to the convenience in use) is that you can get a shorter HP hose and make your profile more streamlined.

Alot of divers do it that way, it makes perfect sense. I have my SPG (brass) clipped off to my left side d-ring on my harness, my bottom timer goes on my right wrist and my compass on my left wrist. That way, most of my dive info is right at my fingertips and my SPG is only a clip away.

Also, welcome to the board from another MI diver!:D

I'm confused with your answers. I dive in caves and caverns where steamlining is important. You don't want anything hanging.
I wear my compass on my left wrist. My computer on my right wrist , my slate on my left forearm my watch in front of the compass on my left wrist. My SPG (submersable pressure guage) is on a hose long enough to come under my left arm pit across my chest and clips to a D ring on my right shoulder strap. IT'S POSITIONED SO ALL I HAVE TO DO IS LOOK DOWN AND I CAN SEE IT. Keep in mind you want everything where it's easy to find and read. Consoles are OK for the occational diver but if you do this often then mount everything other than the SPG on your wrists.
How many times have you looked at other diver and seen there console hanging down along with their Octopus both banging the bottom or hanging up on something. Not to mention the more steamlined you are the less resistance in the water the less work needed to move the less air you will consume. The divers you see with stuff dangling are usualy the same guys you see with their arm out to the sides trying to keep their balance as well as using them to swim while diving.
Hope this helps you figure out what you need to do.
Have fun diving either way.

Personally I find I use my compass very little. It is mounted on the spg and I just tuck the spg under my left chest strap. That way it sticks out enuf to quickly glance at with out being in the way or dragging on the bottom.

On left wrist i wear my pc and my watch....nothing on right wrist.
As i ascend...i have my right hand on my inflator...and use the dump method to let air out by pulling versus raising it and pushing the button. And no.... Ihave had no problem with that method with cracking of plastic etc. That position allows me to raise my left hand with the pc up so that i can see the pc and see the surface at the same time.

Last month i went diviing in barbados and the dm had everything mounted on the spg and was so intent in looking straight ahead at the spg...she forgot to look up and almost surfaces into the boats turning propellers. Luckily i was directly below her and saw the boat change positions and was able to wave her off.

Look up!!! Not fun taking a blender ride.

Guppie once bubbled...
I'm looking at SPG's and debating wrist mount or not. I'm thinking wrist mount computer (Versa Pro) and then brass pressure gauge (analog since this is my life) and a compass on other wrist.

What you'll find is that there's at least 3-4 logical ways to set things up, and there's plenty of personal opinions (and some chest-beating) about A vs B vs C vs D.

Being able to configure your gear so that you've minimized the number of tasks neccessary to do prior to going in the water is a good thing: if you have fewer things to do, you have fewer opportunities to forget something, or make a mistake. For example, "strap something to left wrist" and "strap something on right wrist" is two distinct actions. Putting both items together into a single assembly (say, in a console) reduces your necessary setup actions from 2 to 1.

Decide accordingly.

Similarly, being able to do a task earlier is better than having to wait until later, because earlier usually means less "deadlines" (fewer errors made due to rushing), and more opportunities to catch a mistake...the last thing you do before jumping in has had the fewest opportunities to be verified. For example, wrist-mounted items cannot generally be done early, because the thermal protection (wetsuit/drysuit) has to be put on first, and your dive conditions may merit waiting to do this until the last minute.

Decide accordingly.

Another thing to consider is your task of monitoring your instrumentation during the dive. If stuff is clustered together, you're more likely to be prompted to look at everything every time, instead of just whichever wrist you're thinking about at the moment.

Decide accordingly.

Another factor that's considered by some is their dive activites. For example, if you're bug hunting, you may be reaching into holes, and a wrist-mounted something can snag. Similarly, some wireless dive computer communication systems are momentarily disrupted by UW camera strobes, as well as require 2 batteries to be maintained instead of just one.

Decide accordingly.

When it comes to issues of streamlining, some things make sense to do, but there's a lot of big claims and no cold, hard data to back them up for us to decide on our own how significant they are. There's also some myopia on the subject, because streamlining isn't an end to its own means: streamlining is merely one way to improve diver efficiency to be able to enjoy a longer duration dive....but its not the only way. It also depends on what type of diving you're doing and where: if you're doing pure drift dives, there is no movement in the water for which a streamlining change will provide any benefit whatsoever.

Decide accordingly.

Finally, stuff can get lost/misplaced/stolen. I've personally seen divers get their same-brand wristmount dive computers confused on their surface interval (diving with the wrong residual nitrogen information is a good way for one of them to get bent), as well as small widgets like this make a leap off of a surface onto the deck of the diveboat, and due to the boat's rocking, try to make a tumbling scramble/dash towards the stern for a solo dive without its owner. Gear loss through broken wrist straps during a dive have not been unknown either, but the manufacturers have gotten much better in this regards.

Decide accordingly.

-hh

Guppie once bubbled...

Makes alot of sense. This way, you have what you need, and you won't be dragging guages...

Back
Top Bottom