Gauges for DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mth71

Registered
Reaction score
As you can see from the title, this question is directed mainly towards the DIR divers out there, since I'm looking to go that route as much as possible, right from the start; my Halcyon BP and 36 lb Pioneer wing just arrived yesterday! And I'm waiting for my Scubapro Jetfins and Apeks DS4/TX50 regs to come in this week. Now I'm looking to get an SPG, compass, and depth gauge/bottom timer.

I was looking at the Scubapro Mini SPG, Suunto SK-7 compass, and Uwatec Digital bottom timer. Can you DIR divers comment on those choices, and/or provide your recommendations? Also, I'm looking for a low-volume mask to replace my current one, and while I know that not one particular mask will fit all divers the same, I was wondering if someone could suggest a good one. I tried on a (black) Trident single-piece glass one this morning at my LDS and it seemed to fit well, so I'll probably get it to try out when I go to the pool this week - that's also when I hope to test out my BP/wings and new regs and fins.

One final question, regarding the Uwatec Digital bottom timer: how easy is it to read underwater? The nice thing about a lot of the computes I've seen is that they have a nice large backlit display, but since DIR adherents despise them so much (except possibly when used at a depth gauge or timer, but then that seems like an awfully expensive outlay of cash just for that), I don't want to get one, at least not until I am thoroughly familiar with the use of dive tables, but when I reach that point I probably won't need a computer. :)

Thanks in advance to all who respond. It's because of your advice and personal experience that has gotten me this far with my equipment purchases. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Mark

P.S. Since getting it last Wednesday, I have devoured and thoroughly enjoyed the book Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving - what an outstanding book!

I use a Dive Rite brass SPG. No complaints there, which is not a slam against the Scubapro.

Try out a frameless, ultra-low volume mask if you can (Scubapro Frameless, Oceanic Shadow, etc.). They're also great as backup masks because they store so well in pockets.

I think any good, solid brass SPG would work if it is easy to read.
As for a compass, I use the Suunto SK7. Some of my dive buddies have removed the strap and replace it with bungee cords.

I use the Vyper computer in guage mode. It is not easy to see, and I'm looking at the Oceanic Versa Pro. The numbers look a lot larger, and the backlighting system seems better also. The nice thing about using a computer in guage mode is that it will log your profiles and you can download them later.

Just get a low volume mask that fits properly.

mth71 once bubbled...
As you can see from the title, this question is directed mainly towards the DIR divers out there, since I'm looking to go that route as much as possible, right from the start; my Halcyon BP and 36 lb Pioneer wing just arrived yesterday! And I'm waiting for my Scubapro Jetfins and Apeks DS4/TX50 regs to come in this week. Now I'm looking to get an SPG, compass, and depth gauge/bottom timer.

I was looking at the Scubapro Mini SPG, Suunto SK-7 compass, and Uwatec Digital bottom timer. Can you DIR divers comment on those choices, and/or provide your recommendations? Also, I'm looking for a low-volume mask to replace my current one, and while I know that not one particular mask will fit all divers the same, I was wondering if someone could suggest a good one. I tried on a (black) Trident single-piece glass one this morning at my LDS and it seemed to fit well, so I'll probably get it to try out when I go to the pool this week - that's also when I hope to test out my BP/wings and new regs and fins.

One final question, regarding the Uwatec Digital bottom timer: how easy is it to read underwater? The nice thing about a lot of the computes I've seen is that they have a nice large backlit display, but since DIR adherents despise them so much (except possibly when used at a depth gauge or timer, but then that seems like an awfully expensive outlay of cash just for that), I don't want to get one, at least not until I am thoroughly familiar with the use of dive tables, but when I reach that point I probably won't need a computer. :)

Thanks in advance to all who respond. It's because of your advice and personal experience that has gotten me this far with my equipment purchases. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Mark

P.S. Since getting it last Wednesday, I have devoured and thoroughly enjoyed the book Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving - what an outstanding book!

I prefer a full size SPG for my back gas and mini's for deco bottles.

I have the OMS bottom timer, which I believe to be similar to the Uwatec. No problem reading it.

I love my new Cressi Big Eyes mask. It comes in either black or clear skirt, provides wonderful range of vision and is extremely low volume.

I use the full size ScubaPro brass gauge although I have seen several DIR guys using the mini gauges. Either one is fine. OMS and Dive Rite also have nice brass gauges.

As for the mask, I really like the ScubaPro frameless masks...so much so that I bought 2 of them. Very low volume, comfortable and high quality.

Mark

Currently I am diving the SK7 Compass, the Uwatec Bottom Timer and Scubapro Mini-SPG gauges.

I have also used the Sunnto Vyper and Stinger in gauge mode.

I have not had a problem reading any of these gauges. The SK7 is an excellent compass, it works very well and it has held up for close to 2 years now. Before going to the SK7, I was replacing compasses every 6 months or so.

As far as masks, what fits is probably the most important. I currently use a Scubapro Frameless which offers a bit more visibility in the a low volume mask then the Omer (freediving masks) I was using prior to switching to the Scubapro.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

MarcHall once bubbled...
Mark

Currently I am diving the SK7 Compass, the Uwatec Bottom Timer and Scubapro Mini-SPG gauges.www.enjoythedive.com

Marc, what made you go with the mini SPG? Isn't it harder to read, and also to find if you have stages?

BTW, I'm in SD right now but unfortunately no diving, just family stuff.

I use the D3 as primary bottom timer because I really like the ability to run an independent timer for deco stops.

The run time is on a large central section of the screen until you activate the deco timer, which then runs in the central section while the total run time continues in the bottom corner. The lower position records only in minutes, while the center section keeps time in minutes and seconds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom