gauges or computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parrotthead

Reaction score
I am in the process of completing my equipment, i have everything but regs and computer/guages. I am really comfortable using the guages and i have only used a computer once (aeris atomos 2), the computer was nice but im kind of on a budget. Is it worth waiting a little for the computer until i can truly afford it or should as a beginner just go with the 3 guage console? again i am really comfortable with the console, and using the computer was no big advantage, but i love diving and i think for the future as dives become more and more complex the comp. might do me good. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

which do you consider more life supporting, the extra $$$ for a good reg, or a computer that is based off of the same basic algorithm your table uses?

I am also on a budget & a newbie so I had to be a bit conservative when I bought my equipment. I ended up going with an Mares Atmos Pro computer which has the basics (plus Nitrox compat) and is easy to use.

I am not sure what type of diving you are/will be doing but it is something to think about. I bought mine from the Divers Direct Oulet here in West Palm (prices online were a bit higher than in the store). I am sure other people can give different options, but if you want to take a look...

Atmos Pro
http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts...?Item=9839&Template=9990000001000999&Group=65

Atmos 1 Console

http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts...Item=25617&Template=9990000001000999&Group=65

I am glad that I spent the extra money to get the computer. Otherwise, if I would go by the PADI RDP's, I wouldn't have near as much bottom time as I do now!

Big T makes a valid point. You can dive without a computer. Foregoing the reg is not quite recommended unless you're free diving. :)

I am not a big fan of the bulky consoles. I would definitely advise that you get a wrist-mount compass (Suunto SK7, $50). I find it easier to use, too.

As far the gauges go, you can buy a cheap computer like Suunto's Mosquito (about $300) and get only a pressure gauge (about $70).

You can also get Uwatec depth gauge (wrist mount) for $50 or the digital version for about $30 more. And wait for the computer.

Another option is Scubapro's mini VIP. It has a depth gauge and a pressure gauge for about $120. It's compact and sturdy.

But again, don't sacrifice the quality of your reg.

I learned diving with a console with a pressure gauge and depth gauge on one side and a compass on the reverse.

I went to buy gear and purchased a Suunto console with SPG on one side, compass on the other, wrist mounted Vytec computer.

I have since removed the compass, mounted it on my wrist, removed the console and just have a SPG and am kicking myself for buying such an expensive depth gauge...

So...my opinion is to go with just a pressure gauge no console, wrist mount the compass and go inexpensive on a wrist mounted depth gauge. You will have all the tools you need at a reduced cost and will be able to grow almost infinitely with this set-up. I also no longer have to worry about dragging and clipping off a huge console, I just have the SPG bolt snapped off to my hip. Clean, simple, cheap, adaptable.

Brian

...from bwerb. Look at Scubapro's mini SPG (I think it is somewhere around $130). Use a basic timekeeping device on your wrist and a compass on your wrist. You'll experience a cost savings and better gear configuration as you get started. Then add a wrist mount computer if you wish / as you can afford it.

Safe diving!

I bought my regs first (they have a gauge).

Now I bought a computer (Uwatec Smart Pro) which I carry on my wrist.

I reckon that this is ideal because if the computer fails I'm not totally lost.

Of course I didnt initially start out that way. I too, was on a budget so i went with the basics starting out......reg, alt, guages, etc. Added computer later on, which I love. But I like having the guages there in case anything goes FUBAR.....like having redundant systems or backups.

Started with a basic console, but added a Suunto Mosquito when I could. I like having the back-up of the console instruments in case the computer ever goes out .....

computer is you best friend... table are not design for a multilevel dive, of course that you can say that you can use the wheel, but how many divers dive like a table or wheel says? I guess nobody... you can find a good computer from Mares, Suunto or Cressi for a good price, you don't need to get an expesinve one since you don't dive deep, nitrox or trimix! spend money between a good console and a low level computer, low level computer is better. low level doesn't mean bad computer, just that handle basic stuff, like depth pressure, dive time, speed ascent, surface interval time, and maybe temperature... think about it. todays computer are affordable at good price and they are trustworthy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom