Gavin DPV battery replacement? What Ah?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My brother has one,
he has 80ah lithium batteries in it, never dies.

I would recommend shortening the housing,
but its tricky because it will be easy to make it tail heavy,
With that much battery you'll burn up the brush boards days before you run out of battery

With that much battery you'll burn up the brush boards days before you run out of battery
Have seen people talk about that.. I know one guy here in Norway that has done a lithium upgrade, and he sayd in a old thread that it was dine in out cold waters here, but i will do more research on this...

Do the gavin's have a 750 or 1050rpm motor? I would think that a li pack on the 750 would survive with the soldered brush board, Silent Submersion offers a welded board that survives better too

From what I can tell most dpvs from that era all used the same motor from the tekna/mako but some were rewound to be faster.

He's had no problems with the motor,
He's probably got the slower rpm one,,, he runs it full pitch all the time, it would be nice to have more rpm,
It should go a bit faster,

Have seen people talk about that.. I know one guy here in Norway that has done a lithium upgrade, and he sayd in a old thread that it was dine in out cold waters here, but i will do more research on this...
As mentioned, the brush board can be upgraded, the motor might not be rewound to be especially fast (and hot) so it runs slower and cooler anyway. An aluminum back end and cold water can keep the bits from melting etc.

But really you are better off with 2 medium sized scooters (towing one as a backup) than having one giant scooter with 10 hours of runtime and no backup. Being 2 hours from your entry point with a broken prop blade or any of the multiple other breakage issues any scooter can experience is no bueno.

Ya, but with a big body like that, a small battery and a bunch of lead didn't make sense, so we put a big battery in it for weigh and crazy run time.

Ideally smaller in diameter would be better, but can't always redesign everything...
Shortening is the next best option... but that probably will make it tail heavy...

Hmm. Ok thanks guys!

Man, just came aross a Gaving short now, even rather local! Modded with a 8c2p lifepo4 30A pack! Dang! Guess im changing scooter already.. LOL

Ya, but with a big body like that, a small battery and a bunch of lead didn't make sense, so we put a big battery in it for weigh and crazy run time.

Ideally smaller in diameter would be better, but can't always redesign everything...
Shortening is the next best option... but that probably will make it tail heavy...
If you shorten it to gavins short body length it will be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom