Gavin DPV battery replacement? What Ah?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can at least move the Smart-DPV to other dpv's, but yes it is very difficult to justify investing in Gavin's and old Silent Submersions when the Blacktip is available *essentially with a Smart-DPV, same hardware, same concepts though doesn't work with brushed motors* for about $2500 all in with more power and similar range as the 26ah Gavin's.
Yeah, so that's why my chapest option i think will be a stock voltage regulator i guess.

But so far no luck finding a proper one at good price, and one that will go belov 30v in, and 24v out.
I also realise that a voltage regulator can't (??) go belove volt-out value, so i guess it will stop at 24v in.
So will loose some capasity there, but like @Rol diy maybe just have to stop there, at 3.0v pr cell then.

This is what I use in my farallon,
C$ 9.03 22%OFF | DC 10-50V 60A Motor Speed Control PWM HHO RC Controller Governor Switch RC Extender 12V 24V 36V 48V 3000W Module DIY

It's been great, has a nice soft start,
I have a knob to adj from the outside,
But no reason why you can't set it to whatever you want, and not have access... but it's still what ever the input voltage is...

I don't understand your extra 3v concern... The 3.65 ish volts sag relatively quick as well, depending on battery size....

I would either leave it super simple, like on off switch, or make your own pwm, or buy the premade one,
If you don't like tinkering I would suggest the premade one,
The motor will be fine at higher voltage. Just back off one speed on the prop,
For the same pitch, amp draw will go up with higher voltage, but you with be traveling faster,
Back off the pitch, you will go the same speed fwd but the amp draw will drop,
And your wattage will be the same or similar,,, as long as the watts are similar it going to make the same amount of heat,

This is what I use in my farallon,
C$ 9.03 22%OFF | DC 10-50V 60A Motor Speed Control PWM HHO RC Controller Governor Switch RC Extender 12V 24V 36V 48V 3000W Module DIY

It's been great, has a nice soft start,
I have a knob to adj from the outside,
But no reason why you can't set it to whatever you want, and not have access... but it's still what ever the input voltage is...

I don't understand your extra 3v concern... The 3.65 ish volts sag relatively quick as well, depending on battery size....

I would either leave it super simple, like on off switch, or make your own pwm, or buy the premade one,
If you don't like tinkering I would suggest the premade one,
The motor will be fine at higher voltage. Just back off one speed on the prop,
For the same pitch, amp draw will go up with higher voltage, but you with be traveling faster,
Back off the pitch, you will go the same speed fwd but the amp draw will drop,
And your wattage will be the same or similar,,, as long as the watts are similar it going to make the same amount of heat,
Thanks!

This looks interesting! And very cheap!

So this is all in all just a voltage regulator that you can adjust on-the-fly right? (or leave at one voltage out? Like 24v, right?)

I'm not concerned about the motor regarding the extra voltage, but the brushess/brush board on the Gavin, as other say they don't handle more power to well. I guess it's the soldering points on the board that dont handle it, or so i read.
I see a store selling a upgraded brush board, without weak points, but man that to is over 400 bucks (inc brushes).. So to much for me to put into this dpv.

Btw, Do you have any hands on experience with the Gavin, and this brush board consern? I would like tho hear from someone that acually had this problem, and not just people hearing about others, like i have.. :p

Man, y'all takin a fairly reliable scooter and really adding a bunch of variables.

I hope you like holding on to your buddy's crotch strap.
LOL! :D

Yeah, i hear ya.. Really dont like messing with it to much, but really dont like to have back problems either!
And, on a budget, what's an alf to do....

Btw, i'm a lightweight dude, like 150 punds, and 5'5 in.. Its just to big for me! heh. Something must happend! :p

Yeah, i hear ya.. Really dont like messing with it to much, but really dont like to have back problems either!

Btw, i'm a lightweight dude, like 150 punds, and 5'5 in.. Its just to big for me! heh. Something must happend! :p
Hit the gym.

I'd just put SLA batteries in. Get myself a folding hand truck to move it as close to the water as possible. Then ride it for cheap

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom