GBR near miss for this novice diver

explanation for this event?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sound advice. I will heed it. I never felt like a happy drunk. :( just confused, and then scared. I am glad to hear your whirlpool incident ended with you being able to write about it!

I will try to repost in the medical section. Is there a simple way to do this, or just cut and paste...if you don't answer...ill figure it out! :wink:

Paranoid narc'd is much more rare. I think I've only seen 2 people on Scubaboard speak of having it. You may have that or you may have had regular narcosis/confusion & then just got scared because of it. The first time paranoid narcosis hit me, out of nowhere I thought the regular bubbles from my reg were a massive cylinder failure & that I had little air in my tank. I believed that my reg became extremely difficult to breathe from & got tunnel vision. All of this pretty much happened at once. I'm happy I was with a calm instructor who just made me rise a bit & then magically all of those symptoms went away. It really shocked me cause I'm very a logical person & a happy drunk. :) However, I guess it may be better to be paranoid than do something silly like dive deeper or try to give my reg to a fish like I've heard other divers have done in their happy narc'd state.

You could either copy & paste your first post (& maybe note that you previously posted in another fourm, but want more of a medical perspective this time). Or if you want the medical forum to see all of the back & forth in this thread, ask one of the moderators to move the whole thing to the medical forum.

So, I am just posting a follow up, of how I have been. And a request for some possible feedback.

So part of the story I did relay, because at the time, I didn't see it as relevant. was in crossing the coral sea. The crossing was rough. Tossing you in the air on your bed, eventually I put my arm under the mattress to try and stay on. People in top bunks fit tossed to the floor. There was no sleep, I think for anyone. Yesterday I was relating my story to a nurse. She has worked in neuro. She said it is very probable that I got a concussion.

I said I was not symptomatic on the boat. Tired. Very. Almost every night, I left the dinner table early, because I couldn't stay awake after that. I just figured they were long days. She said many times concussion symptoms don't become apparent till days after. This I did not know.

Flying back from cairns, I had tingling in my hands and feet. This caused me anxiety on the flight. Arriving back in Sydney...just really tired. Again...just figured travel.

Next morning, didn't feel quite right. Sever motion sickness hits me in airport. Sleep 13 of the 15 hours of first flight.

Arrive home. And SEVERE rocking and bobbing. Nausea and sickness rated at 9 out of 10. Couldn't walk. Couldn't raise my head. Next day go to dr. Didn't think it was possible, but I am worse. He sends me to ENT. That dr, says I have fluid behind the ears, and dried blood. He tells me it will be like this for 3-4 weeks. I wAnt to jump off a building! Vestibular test scheduled 2 weeks out.

1st week back, I was completely dibilitated. Next week, I try to work. I work in a hospital. Standing at a computer, I start to have the same feeling I had, at the bottom of the ocean. Am I here? Very sureal? But brief. Then I can't stand, tingling is moving up extremities. I get nurses. I sit down and say: I am really not feeling well. My BP was thru the roof. The world is unstable again. Go to ER. MRI showed severe acute bilateral mastoiditis. Blood work normal. ENT disagrees. Says it is just fluid, a lot of it, behind the ears. I tend to agree. No pain. No redness. My GP put me on Augmenton, for 7 days, to play it safe.

2 week, after antibiotics feeling better. But the world visually still seems off. Like viewing a movie where the talking is out of sync, just visually. I can't watch TV, walking down aisles in stores bothers me, my family talks too loud. Since being back, I can't sleep more than 4 hours. I feel such pressure in my head. It makes me feel sick. But the rocking and bobbing had stopped. I am leaning a lot on the anti nausea meds the hospital gave me. They help some. Oddly I feel ok to drive, normal . Standing is the worst. End of two weeks I go, for vestibular tests. All ok, and small hearing loss in right ear. 5 days later ENT says ears drums responding normally again. It's 3 weeks and I feel better. But still off. And I still fall over when trying to put on my pants or socks.

So now it's about 4 weeks. And I still have slight pressure on my head. Much better. Still some balance issues. I would say no rocking or bobbing. ENT diagnosed as mal disembarkment syndrome. I am just wondering, if it was a combo of ears and concussion. Can you really get a concussion from bad seas? I have never heard of this before? Symptoms match well for both mal disembarkment, and concussion. And throw in the ears...and if I never feel this way again, it will be too soon!

Can you really get a concussion from bad seas?

:::Requisite "Not a doctor" disclaimer:::

Remember that you do not have to suffer a direct blow to the head to receive a concussion. A concussion occurs when the brain impacts the skull which results in some damage occurring.

I once gave myself a concussion listening to heavy metal music. Got a little too in to my 'head banging' and seriously hurt myself.

:::Requisite "Not a doctor" disclaimer:::

Remember that you do not have to suffer a direct blow to the head to receive a concussion. A concussion occurs when the brain impacts the skull which results in some damage occurring.

I once gave myself a concussion listening to heavy metal music. Got a little too in to my 'head banging' and seriously hurt myself.

Ok, I needed that! :) not that giving yourself a concussion is funny....but you must seriously be into your music! How long was the recovery?

Ok, I needed that! :) not that giving yourself a concussion is funny....but you must seriously be into your music! How long was the recovery?

It was a long time ago - I listen to much more subdued music now :)

I've had a few concussions over the years (football and ice hockey), so I'm not the best example of how quick the symptoms go away (the more you have the longer it takes). I think the last one (10 years ago) took a about a month or so before I felt normal.

It's been about 5 weeks for me so far. I am def. feeling better. Still slightly off. I mean maybe I am wrong, and it is the mal disembarkment? But you know how they say...if you hear galloping, it's probably a horse not a zebra. It seems like a concussion, and fluid behind the ears...is the simpler answer. But, God, it was awful. And I can't say I won't be nervous about the after effects of the next time I get off a boat or plane. Moving forward, tho....

You could be dealing with multiple issues. The concussion will have many of the same symptoms of fluid behind the ears. Would explain the seasickness, vertigo, and confusion. After my last one I couldn't focus my eyes for 3 weeks, and had absolutely no concentration and couldn't hold any train of thought longer than a few moments. Also keep in mind that everyone heals from concussions differently, depends on previous brain injury, and how sever the current injury was. Just take it easy for a while and make your next couple of dives shallow ones to get over the anxiety and reassure yourself everything is better.

You could be dealing with multiple issues. The concussion will have many of the same symptoms of fluid behind the ears. Would explain the seasickness, vertigo, and confusion. After my last one I couldn't focus my eyes for 3 weeks, and had absolutely no concentration and couldn't hold any train of thought longer than a few moments. Also keep in mind that everyone heals from concussions differently, depends on previous brain injury, and how sever the current injury was. Just take it easy for a while and make your next couple of dives shallow ones to get over the anxiety and reassure yourself everything is better.

Thanks for that. Taking it easy, bit challenging with 3 kids and holidays. It's frustrating not knowing definitively, and it's SLOW.

Back
Top Bottom