GBR near miss for this novice diver

explanation for this event?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just posting a final follow up. Mainly because if you read these threads later, I always want to know how it ended.

It is 2 months later, and I would say 98% if not all symptoms have resolved. It certainly took its sweet time. It was a slow gradual progression. From severe rocking and bobbing, constant nausea for 4 weeks and feelings of pressure in head, to feeling like I was visually off with input ( a second or two behind), to just feeling cross eyed but no nausea, then to just motion sickness in turning my car too fast, or turning a shopping cart to quick in the store...to mild symptoms like tipping a bit to the left while walking....now everything including the ringing of the ears is gone.

I had an MRI done. Brain looks good, nothing abnormal
Vestibular tests: all good except slight hearing loss in R ear.
Echo of heart: all good, no PFO
Blood work: all normal, slight anemia

So the final diagnosis? ENT and neuro say that it is Mal disembarkment.

The treatment: never go on a boat again. No drug, very little research available.

Really sucks. So scared to get it again, tho. Some people get it again, some it never goes away ( nightmare)!

Did this have a play in the f-cked up dive? Did it cause those reactions underwater? Or Did the messed up dive cause/trigger the mal disembarkment? I will never really know.

:::Requisite "Not a doctor" disclaimer:::

Remember that you do not have to suffer a direct blow to the head to receive a concussion. A concussion occurs when the brain impacts the skull which results in some damage occurring.

I once gave myself a concussion listening to heavy metal music. Got a little too in to my 'head banging' and seriously hurt myself.
ive got a headache just thinkng about it

No, I wore no patch. I did take kwells, in the office before boarding, and then right after vomiting in front of everyone during orientation. This was the only time I got sick. Was pretty solid, till right before the bad dive. Felt a little queasy, took Dramamine right before I jumped in the water. Only medicated 3 times.

Final post. Now, from learning that what this nightmare diagnosis of Mal de Debarqment is, from neurologist. I can unequivocally say that I will never get on a boat, dock, or go diving again. It would be very irresponsible of me, to my health, and others. It can go into remission, not there yet, but then be re-triggered. Some people are lucky and it goes away, more than likely it comes back. Some live with the rocking and bobbing, balance issues, head pressure, Forever. I pray this will not be my nightmare. You could compare it to the evilness of having meniers disease. That is inner ear. This is brain.

In hindsight, I would also like to say, I think this brain syndrome, was rearing its ugly head for the first time in that horrible dive. I have felt that way, confused, visual spatial issues, and been dibilitated on land. I had no idea, about this problem. Wish I still didn't.I was always a person who got motion sick ( some theories think motion sickness is variant of migraines). I no longer think that this was nitrogen narcosis, it was a bigger problem. Goes to show, that you never really know, what can happen to someone at the turn of a dime on land or in the ocean. I jumped in, seemingly normal, and was never the same after, and I was a lucky one. Someone brought me up. I am eternally thankful I was able to go back to my family.

Dive safe. Don't take anything for granted. And look out for your Buddy.

Back
Top Bottom