Gear for Technical diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering following the IANTD training up to Trimix diver. From what I understand at the moment I would need to do Advanced EANx, Technical Diver, and then Trimix. My question is about regulators. If you move to twins with two first stages, how many second regs do you normally put on each first? Do you still need the redundancy of a secondary (octopus) on each primary? The same question applies to stage bottles - would these normally be configured with a first stage and one second stage reg?

KimLeece:
I am considering following the IANTD training up to Trimix diver. From what I understand at the moment I would need to do Advanced EANx, Technical Diver, and then Trimix. My question is about regulators. If you move to twins with two first stages, how many second regs do you normally put on each first? Do you still need the redundancy of a secondary (octopus) on each primary? The same question applies to stage bottles - would these normally be configured with a first stage and one second stage reg?

Hi Kim,

First of, you need to talk to your instructor. He or she may have an idea of what you should be using.
If you do not trust that person with this question, I would reconsider your instructor choice, but that is just my view.

I personally have everything rigged known as DIR. You can read up on that on their website www.gue.com and I am sure someone quoted related stuff.
(Many people who are not associated with them dive this way. Many people associated with them pick and chose. Many others just copy bits and pieces. Others try to stay away from that concept thinking it is a question of faith. All crap. Dive what is safe: well maintained, well thought about gear for the dive environment you are in, which you can handle with closed eyes under stress.)

For yourself, find reasons why this approach may be the proper choice, or why it may not be. Critical thinking is such a rare thing :)))

Susie

PS: You are waayyys away from trimix. Certain more 'difficult' instructors send their potential technical students (pre-adv. EANX) away until their breathing rate is better. GO SLOW.

As you get into tech diving you will of course go to double tanks with a manifold isolator. You will need a two first stages one for each post (valve) and two second stages (one for each first stage).

When you start using doubles you will ultimately go to the long hose 7 foot or so which will hold one second stage. The other second stage will be on some type of bungie strap that goes around your neck. If it come times to donate in an Out of Air Emergency you will donate the long hose and go to your regulator that's hanging under your neck.

For the deco diving you will need a separate regulator including a SPG for each tank that you use, (nitrox for travel and oxygen for decompression). This could be from one to four bottles depending on training and depth.

Also don't forget about a good backplate and wings and probably a drysuit.

Yes you will be a poster child for scuba if you take up tech diving but the reducancy and training will keep you alive.

Your instructor should provide you the details of gear you will need as well as to how to set it all up properly.

Good luck with your diving.

Jim Baldwin

Kim,

My advice is to interview several instructors - we did three - and then choose based on instructor rather than particular agency. Then, the instructor can help explain what equipment is needed for each phase of such training. This has worked very well for us.

Hope this helps.

You really need to come up here to Tokyo (and dive Izu) for a long discussion of your equipment needs.

Either that or talk to Doug (Japan Diver) at Reef Encounters in Okinawa.

Disclaimer: He sells Oxycheq and Dive Rite, I sell Halcyon (and Oxycheq), and we both dive a DIR configuration.

Most of the questions you have asked have been covered in depth on the GUE website among others and the Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving book.

Send me a PM and I'll send you the book. I normally give the book with purchase of a Halcyon MC system.

For the regs, don't forget that you will probably have to purchase DIN first stages for the doubles and depending on location, DIN or yoke for stage bottles. We use DIN for doubles and yoke for stage bottles up here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom