gear question for whale shark swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forestfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it worth getting my own shorty? I do dive as well, but I use a 3mm full suit for that.
My understanding is that for the whale shark snorkel, you either need a wetsuit (shorty) or use a life vest. I prefer not to use a life vest (I find them bulky), but I am wondering at renting a shorty. I am VERY sensitive to the sun, and wear a rashguard and swim tights (waist to ankle) all the time in the water (especially if snorkeling).

If I get a shorty, it will be long sleeve. The bottoms are the problem - most women's shorties are now either boyshort or bikini - can I wear my swim tights under the shorty?

Love to hear from those who have done this trip - what are your thoughts?

Are you taking along your regular 3mm for diving anyway? If so I'd just wear it for the whale shark snorkel and not complicate things.

Yes, I am taking my 3mm for diving off Cozumel. I was thinking that a fullsuit would be too hot for just a few minutes of snorkeling with the sharks...

You can certainly wear a shorty over your swim tights & rashguard. I'm unclear if you're only looking at renting a shorty, or considering buying one just for this? - I'm mostly thinking I wouldn't buy one that you might not use otherwise and have something else to haul along, when your regular suit or a rental shorty over something for complete coverage will be perfectly adequate. If it's something you were thinking of getting anyway because you will have use for it, that's different. But I wouldn't think the extra neoprene coverage of the fullsuit on arms and legs is going to make you so much warmer than a shortie, especially if you get a shortie with long sleeves. You could be warm out of the water (in either) but probably not in the water, where you can just leave some water in if it's too warm.

(Note that most tropical places rent shorties because they're easier to fit people, not because a shorty is such a desirable thing. I hardly ever see people actually bring their own shorties.)

I snorkeled with the whale sharks last summer. I am a very experienced diver and snorkeler, and I actually liked wearing the provided life vest. One big plus is that it puts the boat captain and guide at ease. They get a LOT of bozos on their boats, bozos who can barely swim. Remember, they don't know you from Adam at the beginning of the day, so they have to suspect that you are a non-swimmer, too.

I don't think it is worth schlepping around a personal wetsuit all-day for a Isla Mujeres whale shark trip, shorty or otherwise. It is certainly not worth buying a shorty just for this.

A rashguard is a MUST...they do not allow sunblock on these boats. Bring a hat, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom