Gearing up and Training for Cavern/Basic Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backmount is pretty standardized, and it's fairly easy to balance the rig out with v- or tail-weights. Sidemount, it seems to me, is much more idiosyncratic, and getting the rig and the tanks sorted so it really works well takes some time and often some expert input.

I think, whether you do the class in backmount or sidemount, you should expect to put in some significant time in the setup you are going to use, until you are really comfortable not only diving it, but managing basic drills in it. You really won't enjoy switching gear and immediately trying to take a high-intensity class in it.

Hi Victor,

You may use any sidemount system in the class as long as it works.

I would recommen a canister light with at least 4 hours of burn time.
You will also need 2 back up lights that have at least 1.5 hours of burn time each.

I like spools, they want jam. You will need a safety spool with 140' of line.

You can use wet notes instead of a wrist slate in cave classes.

I would use a dive coumputer instead of pocket dive tables.

Practice diving with your sidemount rig. Get comfortable with staying still in the water without moving.

See you in Oct.

Jeff

So that's Jeff Loflin's response to my questions. Seems like I don't need a reel, which is good because I totally forgot about undergarments. I still need undergarments picked out. For the water temps in Vortex (been diving a 3mm J/J and pretty much fine) I was thinking about Lavacore. I will end up buying a reel (800', I hope) but not necessarily for this class. I will be buying two nice 150' spools made of delrin. I'll have a full response later tonight, but I'm literally IN THE MIDDLE of a Tec40 classroom session. Thanks so far for all of your help.

So that's Jeff Loflin's response to my questions. Seems like I don't need a reel, which is good because I totally forgot about undergarments. I still need undergarments picked out. For the water temps in Vortex (been diving a 3mm J/J and pretty much fine) I was thinking about Lavacore. I will end up buying a reel (800', I hope) but not necessarily for this class. I will be buying two nice 150' spools made of delrin. I'll have a full response later tonight, but I'm literally IN THE MIDDLE of a Tec40 classroom session. Thanks so far for all of your help.
800' reel might be a bit much :)

800' reel might be a bit much

That's what we call a Cave 1 reel.

You know, the one you can run all the way to the Southwest Sac Be line, so you aren't guilty of having put a jump in?

You're gunna have a worse time with a reel like that. Get a little 400 and be happy. It'll be a LONG time before you need an 800ft reel

The difference in price for me between the 400' and 800' reels is only $17. Is it really that big of a pain to carry around the bigger reel? Also, what if I bought the smaller reel and rewrapped it with thinner line?

Another thing is that I've heard that these NSS-CDS Cavern and Basic Cave courses I'm taking expire after 18 months. If that's true, I'll be taking Full Cave by the end of next summer to make sure nothing I own expires. If that's the plan, is it worth just getting the bigger reel?

Yes, its a pain. You don't want thinner line, either.

I hate to break it to you, but you're not going to be exploring virgin cave in 800ft shots any time soon. And if you ever do, you'll be glad you have the 400 with you as well.

Second stage hoses: Long hose on one, long hose on both JUST ONE? If long hose on one, which side RIGHT SIDE? Are you going to have a left handed 2nd stage NOT AN OPTION FOR ME or need to use a hose looping around the back of your head THAT, OR NYLON BRAIDED INFRONT OF ME? What is your gas planning to make sure you can share safely if you only have a long hose on one side DONATE BOTTLE?

Second stages: Are you going to use right angle adaptors, 45* adaptors, swivels, or no adaptor? Are you going to put them on the same bungee, separate bungee, or clip off CLIP OFF ONE, NECKLACE THE OTHER? If you clip off, how are you going to handle an OOA situation MY PLAN WAS TO DONATE LONGHOSE REG, ALWAYS? Are you going to breathe to thirds then switch? Breathe to 6ths, switch, breathe to thirds, switch, breathe another 6th, then turn? Breathe 200 then switch until you hit thirds? If you are in the middle of switching when an OOA happens, which second stage will you hand off LONG HOSE?

Drysuit hose: Left or right tank? Shortest hose possible to go directly to the inflator, or are you going to loop it down?

Inflator: Run from the top or the bottom? If from the bottom, how are you going to run the dump valve string? Are you going to use the shortest hose possible to go directly to the inflator, or are you going to loop it down? If you use the shortest hose possible, what are you going to do if you have an issue that leaves your other tank unusable, leaving you without a drysuit inflator? Remember, not all exits are pure ascents. If you route from the bottom, are you able to manually inflate the wing easily? I WAS THINKING OF TWO THINGS: INFLATOR HOSE WRAPPED BEHIND MY SHOULDER INTO NORMAL LPI or LPI ATTACHED BOTTOM LEFT WHERE OPV CURRENTLY IS AND RUNNING A SHORT HOSE THAT'S STILL LONG ENOUGH TO REACH DRYSUIT VALVE

SPG’s: Do you run them out like bug antennae or wrapped up like stage bottles? (backmount: use the DIR length it works for most. Adjust to fit your body height as needed. Clip it off, no problems) I'VE SEEN A FEW DIFFERENT OPTIONS, ONE THAT I LIKED ARE 6" HOSES WRAPPED ON THEMSELVES TIGHTLY AND HELD TOGETHER WITH AN O-RING. STILL VISIBLE, BUT TIGHT ON THE BOTTLE. ALSO CONSIDERED A LONGER HOSE STUFFED INTO A BUNGEE. ALSO CONSIDERED STAGE BOTTLE-TYPE SPG.

Bungees: What length is best? Will you use chokers? (backmount: leave the bungees in the truck. (sidemount is nice, the bungees hold your fins while you climb out) ) WILL BE BUYING SMS100 BUNGEE KIT, HAVE CHOKERS SET UP.

Rear Connection: Carabiners, bolt snaps, butterfly snaps, suicide clips, or black magic BOLT SNAPS....IF BLACK MAGIC DOESN'T WORK :D?If bolt snaps, are you prepared to deal with a bolt snap that won’t open due to sand? I SURE HOPE SO! Do you use a worm gear or a cam band? CAM BANDS.

Lights: Keep them on your shoulders? On the harness like BM’ers? In your pockets? Can you reach your pockets? Do you clip everything in your pockets off you let it all fall on the ground while you pull out your light? How will that backup mask feel with a boltsnap on the side? (backmount: put them on your harness and you are done. No brainer.) CANISTER LIGHT EITHER ON BACKPLATE LIKE A TINY A TANK OR CLIPPED OFF LIKE A BUTTPLATE. BACKUP LIGHTS, STILL NOT SURE...PROBABLY ON SHOULDER PADS. HAVEN'T CONSIDERED BACKUP MASK, BUT AM BUYING FRAMELESS.

So, my responses are in black, bold, and caps to make them more noticeable. I also shortened your post a little bit to ease in legibility. I'm having a gear rigging session on Wed with my Tec40 instructor (who is familiar with Sidemount) and I intend to take my Tec40 class sidemount as well. I also plan on diving sidemount recreationally for practice, using my gas switching methods. So, what do you think of my plan so far? I'm not looking to argue, simply to learn. The answers that I've given are from talking with my Tec40 instructor, talking to Buck Buchanan (who helped me setup my BP/W for SM the first time), and from all the internet diving I've done. Y'all have WAY more experience than I do...so I'm just looking to learn.​

Victor from a new cave diver start with a 400' primary of your choice.
I like the Light Monkey just my favorite.
If you can buy only the basic gear you will need then add the other once you get there.
Take two extra days to shake down and clean your rig pre-training again just my opinion.
If it costs you an extra couple hundred to do this it is worth it!

Listen to the majority and let your instructor outfit you as he sees fit this will aid you in training.
Know your rig, your reel, and be comfortable in the dark doing skills.
Stress is a good motivator and can assist us in our efforts to train but too much is just plain unsafe know to trust your instructor!
I did just what I am telling you last week of March and it was fantastic!
Training was awesome.
The first three days were HXXL!
Cleaning up gear, crashing new lights, adding little gear here and there, tons of reel work.
BUOYANCY, TRIM, PROPER TECHNIQUES pre-training.
Some supervised, some not but it was so worth the extra cash and time.

When the training came it was stressful but fun and the greatest training experience I have had to date!
Thank you Tim Stahl, Marcy Stahl, Larry Green, Linda at Cave Expeditions.
One big help is to be in shape physically and mentally to cope with the demands of training.
Gear is easy to find in FL good fundamental dive skills are to be in place before you get there.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom