Gearing up: One newbies experience (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USFpsychDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve seen lots of questions about what gear to get first, how much it costs, and where to get it. I have no answers, and no two people go about it the same way, but thought that one newbs journey through initial gear acquisition might have some informative value. My purchasing was perhaps a bit idiosyncratic since I was away from home (and water) for about three months between the dive trip on which I decided to keep doing SCUBA and my return to the water. That gave me a lot of time to read about gear but no chance to actually try any out (there were some dive shops nearby but no ready access to open water).

The background: my daughter wanted a dive trip for her graduation present. Neither of us was certified (although my sister is), so we both did our classes, then went on a week-long Bahamas dive trip. We both loved it and decided we wanted to do more. For simplicities sake I’m not going to talk any more about her end, just mine.

After the class and the resort dives it just seemed to make sense to own my own gear. “Try before you buy” makes great sense except that there’s so much gear out there in so many styles from so many manufacturers that it could take years to work through it all. Good, unbiased information is difficult to impossible to come by, even to the simplest “which brands are good and which are cheap crap” kind of info. There doesn’t seem to be a ‘consumer reports’ for dive gear or even relatively unbiased sources on the internet (something like cnet, pcworld, engadget, for computer and related tech). So I relied a lot on this boards, a couple of other similar boards, and a handful of blogs, with a smattering of review sites to be an educated consumer.

My first purchase was a dive computer. True this is an optional piece of equipment, but it seems like a no-brainer option. Even if you subscribe to the opinion that everyone should know their tables by heart and that computers foster a casual attitude, the fact remains that human cognition is fallible, so why wouldn’t you want an accurate, automated, versatile backup. Why wouldn’t everyone want a device that beeped at them if they were ascending too fast, or getting low on air. However, I did not get an air-integrated computer. After much reading it seemed like most experienced divers preferred wrist-mount to console mounted computers, and the arguments made sense (having that information right at hand without having to fumble for some bulky, dangling console). That eliminated the possibility of having an HP hose on the thing, and the hoseless air interface seems not quite ready for prime-time yet – the near-field wireless communication used appears a bit flakey still, and it’s quite expensive, so it’s still a regular gauge dangling from a hose for tank pressure for me.

I’m an older guy, in my mid-50s now, and my near vision isn’t what it once was, so I wanted something with a big screen. Also since the geek factor is a part of the deal, it had to be something that would sync with my computer. The things are silly expensive for what is essentially a waterproof watch with a pressure sensor and some pretty simple firmware – yes, I know, economies of scale – but even that doesn’t justify charging $120 for a sixty nine cent USB cable! I would have gone for any vendor that didn’t charge that beyond insane markup on their data cable but there wasn’t one that was compatible with MacDive, the clear standard for dive software on the Mac. The Mares Puck seemed the least expensive option that allowed computer syncing, and seemed a reasonable unit, the Mares Nemo Wide has the big screen but was substantially more expensive. The Nemo Wide is one of the few computers (and I believe the only one in its price range) with flashable firmware so that its functionality can be upgraded. I probably would have gone with the Puck if I had to buy new but I found a like-new open-box never-been-wet Nemo Wide on the Divers Supply web site substantially discounted from retail so snatched it up.

Next was the BC. What a morass to dig through there, with almost religious fervor among competing factions (BP/W versus vest, backup air on the power inflator or not, new-wave levers versus old fashioned buttons on the power inflators, to say nothing of where to put the weights). I flopped around a lot on this from the Zeagle Ranger to the Aqua Lung Dimension i3 to a DSS backplate-and-wing. Then I’d been reading the rave reviews of the Zeagle Express Tech here and was vacillating between the DSS and the Express Tech, and was almost ready to pull the trigger on the DSS when I was a new, never-been-wet Express Tech on e-bay for $140 +$20 shipping, which was too good to pass up. I was surprised to find it had the pad kit installed when it arrived which was an added bonus. As many have noted, it really isn’t usable as shipped since it will ride up; a crotch strap is necessary, as well as some adjustments of the webbing (primarily adding some keepers to prevent excessive tightening at the shoulders). Plus I added some integrated weight pockets and a couple of utility pockets which probably added another $150 or so to the total cost for a functional BC. Still, comparatively inexpensive for a light, travel-ready, minimalist BC.

People seem to have much less passion about their regulators, which seems a bit odd given their mission-critical function; maybe it’s because they all pretty much work the same with only minor advantages to the upmarket models (at least for standard recreational diving). I found an open-box unused Mares Prestige 22 ntt with Prestige octo for a bit over half of retail from a seller here on Scubaboard.

Everyone says wetsuit fit is critical, and it seems the item that degrades the fastest, so it seemed to make sense to but that new and local (and I wanted to toss some business to my LDS so they’ll still be around to book dive trips). Then there were the miscellaneous bits and pieces: gauges, knife, straps, clips, pockets, etc., etc., etc.

Here are the items and their costs and where I got them:

Fins, mask, snorkel, weight belt w/18 lbs soft weights (new, for OW class; Scuba Haven Tampa, my certifying shop): $240

Henderson 3mm Thermoprene 2-piece (Farmer John & step-in jacket; new; lds): $266

Gear bag (LDS): $80

Tank light and safety sausage: (lds): ~$45

Mares Nemo Wide computer (open box/used/like new; Diver's Supply, online) ): $399

USB cable for computer (new; Dolphin Scuba Center, online): $103

MacDive dive logging software (new; download): $25

Zeagle Express Tech BC w/ pad kit (open box/new; ebay): $160

Crotch strap for BC (new; House of Scuba, online) : $18

Zip Touch Weight System for BC (new; Zeagle Express, online): $79

Mares Prestige 22 ntt regulator w/ Prestige octo (open box/new; private party on Scubaboard.com): $335

Two Dorcy Penetrator 220 dive lights (Piranha Dive Manufacturing): $90

(all the below items in a single order from Northeast Scuba Supply, online)

25" Miflex inflator hose (new): $50

Dive Rite SPG w/32" hp superflex hose (new): $92

Suunto SK 7 compass with DSS wrist mount (new): $80

XS Scuba mesh pocket (new): $16

Generic knife (new): $10

Assorted D-rings, keepers, snaps, retainers (new): $51

Total gear: $2139

And for completeness, course costs:

OW class: $239

Nitrox class: $139

AOW class: $130 (in conjunction with a LSD organized dive trip)

Total classes: $508

Gear plus classes: $2647

That’s from April – September, 2011. Cost of dives not included (except the ones in the OW class). I consider myself pretty well configured and trained now for basic recreational diving, but very much lacking in experience. Now it’s a matter of finding the time to dive and the buddies to dive with. I do love it very time I get in the water; more each time.

Phew!
My wallet feels lighter just reading that!

I think I also prefer a more minimalist style setup

And you got a GREAT DEAL on the AOW class and the Zeagle ET BC. You "could have" paid an additional $400-$500. So not too bad. Thorough, but not too bad.

Good thing about SCUBA is that "most" of that gear will go with you as you grow.

If you go to Tech, then all bets are off and get another CC to Max out :)

Thanks for the post though.

USVet96

And FWIW, I think I'm about $3k in NOT including any course outside of OW.

Here are the items and their costs and where I got them:

Fins, mask, snorkel, weight belt w/18 lbs soft weights (new, for OW class; Scuba Haven Tampa, my certifying shop): $240

Henderson 3mm Thermoprene 2-piece (Farmer John & step-in jacket; new; lds): $266

Gear bag (LDS): $80

Tank light and safety sausage: (lds): ~$45

Mares Nemo Wide computer (open box/used/like new; Diver's Supply, online) ): $399

USB cable for computer (new; Dolphin Scuba Center, online): $103

MacDive dive logging software (new; download): $25

Zeagle Express Tech BC w/ pad kit (open box/new; ebay): $160

Crotch strap for BC (new; House of Scuba, online) : $18

Zip Touch Weight System for BC (new; Zeagle Express, online): $79

Mares Prestige 22 ntt regulator w/ Prestige octo (open box/new; private party on Scubaboard.com): $335

Two Dorcy Penetrator 220 dive lights (Piranha Dive Manufacturing): $90

(all the below items in a single order from Northeast Scuba Supply, online)

25" Miflex inflator hose (new): $50

Dive Rite SPG w/32" hp superflex hose (new): $92

Suunto SK 7 compass with DSS wrist mount (new): $80

XS Scuba mesh pocket (new): $16

Generic knife (new): $10

Assorted D-rings, keepers, snaps, retainers (new): $51

Total gear: $2139

And for completeness, course costs:

OW class: $239

Nitrox class: $139

AOW class: $130 (in conjunction with a LSD organized dive trip)

Total classes: $508

Gear plus classes: $2647

That’s from April – September, 2011. Cost of dives not included (except the ones in the OW class). I consider myself pretty well configured and trained now for basic recreational diving, but very much lacking in experience. Now it’s a matter of finding the time to dive and the buddies to dive with. I do love it very time I get in the water; more each time.

I too was recently certified back in March, but before I was, one of the big hurtles that I saw was the expense of gear. Now you can always rent your gear, and do so for a long time and probably be quite content, but I like researching, deal hunting, and tweaking my gear, so I knew not owning would be out of the question. Here's my list and what it approximately cost me, just as a comparison.

Fins, Mask, Snorkel: Oceanic Viper Fins $55, Bare Duo B Mask $30, Aeris Cuda $25, Total $110

Wetsuit: Bare Sport 5mm Wetsuit $180

Gear Bag: Aqua Lung Tropical Cruiser $150 Price was a bit high on this, even after a discount, but you can find good bags much cheaper. This was a guilty pleasure and a birthday present from my wife, so I don't feel too bad about it. :D

Safety Sausage: $16

Computer: Oceanic Datamax Sport Console $75

BC: Hollis BP $90, Hollis X37 Wing $150, Hollis HTS Harness $75 Total $315. Again, personal reasons for going with this stuff, you can get a basic BP/W and Hog Harness for much cheaper.

Regulator: Aeris Ion w/Swivel $350 Probably the best bit of gear I've picked up btw, I can't say enough good things about this reg.

Octo: Sherwood Minimus $27

Lights: MagicShine MJ-810 and Smaller Handheld $115

Assorted Misc Keepers, Pockets, Knife, Whistle: $50

Gear Grand Total: $1388

If I had gone with a truly minimalist approach, I probably could've shaved off another $300, so if there are any people reading this who are completely new to this, but think they can't afford it, hunt around some first before you completely make up your mind.

Im gonna jump on the band wagon and post my expenses :D

Fins, Mask, Snorkel: $80 Tusa fins, target mask/snorkel :D

Wetsuit: .5mil shorty $60

Gear Bag: Generic dive bag $30

Safety Sausage: Six footer + reel 45$

Computer: Oceanic veo 100 (non nitrox compatible-REGRET) 150$

BC: Mares Spirit BC package, see regulator section for full price

Regulator: Part of the package deal, Proton I believe?

Octo: Part of the package deal, alltogether was about $500 (BC, 1st stage, 2 regs)

Lights: primary and secondary, Dont remember names $80 total

Assorted Misc Keepers, Pockets, Knife: Bought shears for about $12, and have probably spent $20 on various clips

Gear Grand Total: $977

Im severly budgeted, as you can tell :)
I could've avoided buying a few things, but I splurged.

What you don't need right away!- In my opinion, unless a person is going to be diving regularly, they really don't need anything but what they needed to get certified with, the mask fins and snorkel. If you're a vacation diver, you'll rent the gear on vacation. Regulators have to be serviced annually, as well as tanks every 5 years.

Sounds like you did some good research but maybe got reeled in on some gear too. Fair play to you for both. Thanks for the great write-up about your gear choices. I'm a cheap bastard so I went the "used gear" route for everything that I didn't build myself. We each have to decide for ourselves what are the right choices for us and it looks like you've made some good ones. Now get out there and dive... there's no excuse not to if you live in Tampa.

I liked your post... it put a smile on my face. You are right... diving gear is very diverse and finding the correct equipment for your diving needs can be a real hassle. The main problems are:

- 1) There is alot of stuff you don't need but looks like you need it. (or at least don't need right away)
- 2) There is alot of stuff that doesn't sound important but is, or at least facilitates diving in a big way.
- 3) You can learn to dive with anything, but equipment can make a difference.
- 4) Most divers will give a very biased view on equipment: the equipment I spend alot on must be the best because I chose it.
- 5) Most diveshops will have a very biased view on equipment: the equipment in my shop must be the best because I sell it.
- 6) The group of divers you dive with (be it through a shop, local dive club, etc) can have a big impact on your view on equipment.

Some examples:
- Point 1: Many uninformed new divers have a computer first, and then a light. In my neck of the woods (bad vis) you need a light first... you can't see anything without it.
- Point 2: For shoredivers: Springstraps. Costs almost nothing but facilitates shore-entries in a big way.
- Point 3: New diver I know bought a BCD second hand... which was 2 sizes too large... wonder why she couldn't get a comfortable trim in water... look no further. It fitted ok on land... not in the water
- Point 4: Look at every my regulator is better then yours discussion on this board :). My lamp is better than yours... etc
- Point 5: No the flashy bang bang Scubapro A700 diamond encrusted $$$$ regulator is not better then a simple G250V. No you don't need the UWATEC SOL I can sense your heartbeat divecomputer to dive.
- Point 6: Very important... they maybe biased but you may digest some info from consensus in such a group. If a group of wreckdivers all dive a BP/W then maybe it makes sense if you want to dive wrecks to get a BP/W?

Cheers

B

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.... Though I personally will not even try to attempt to sum up all scuba related costs. That might result in some serious cardiovascular reactions on my side, if you understand :D

Good to know I am not the only one shelling out bucks. I certified last year and am still accumulating gear.

My first purchase after personal gear package for OW class was my wetsuit. Found online at Scuba.com as clearance. I had a bad experience renting a wetsuit when zipper pulled off the back as I was zipping up. Had to make both of my OW check out dives in 55 degree water and cold running down my back.

Next was dive computer. Found Aeris XR 1 on clearance with Scubatoys.com as open box demo. Also had two bad experiences with rental computers. First time water activation was not turned on and by the time I notices I had already started my dive. I couldn't get the computer to reset underwater and called the dive. Other time I rented a computer the guy showed my how to turn it on and we made sure it was working before I left the shop. Only this time it was set on metric, major pain in the ass trying to figure out how many meters/feet calculations.

Atomic Mask, Atomic splits, snorkel, gloves, booties. $390.

XS scuba hood $26

Pinnacle 7mm elastiprene $120 (scuba.com)

Zeagle Stiletto BC $496

Aeris XR 1 wrist $125 (Scubatoys.com)

XS scuba soft weights 22 lbs. $80.

UK sunburst C4 $126.

Trident compass with retractor $49.

most purchases made at LDS as get as good or very close to online prices and save on shipping.

Still on wish list:

upgrade computer to Aeris Epic wireless for AI

Atomic T2x !!!!! I know, very expensive but just can't get over how light the first stage is compared to others!!

next set of gear purchases ~$2200 for new computer and reg.

but, unfortunately, suspect there are still many more purchases to come!! it always seems like there is something new to buy!!

also, next step is to outfit a 13 year girl who also recently certified. just never ends!!

LOL. Wait until you're at it for a few years.Than have another 2X for "inventory" and another 2 times in "try and trash". Then factor in 2X for your kid.

" Quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand. " :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom