gel ice pack in box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jujubeess

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
I recently has surgery and want to bring a gel ice pack still in box to Bonaire. Would I be able to put it in my checked luggage without it being confiscated? Should I try to bring it with me and show security? i checked TSA website and they are not clear. Should I call airline?
thank you

Checked is probably fine in carry one it will probably get taken away.

Checked luggage for sure.

If the ice pack does not make it to BON, you can buy a bag of frozen peas at the supermarket and use in lieu. Works almost as well and re freezes relatively quickly.

Hello,
I recently has surgery and want to bring a gel ice pack still in box to Bonaire. Would I be able to put it in my checked luggage without it being confiscated? Should I try to bring it with me and show security? i checked TSA website and they are not clear. Should I call airline?
thank you

We just did this on our trip to Jamaica, flying American. Packed in our checked luggage, and in its own ZipLock baggie, in the middle, to avoid accidentally being punctured and making a mess of everything else.

We didn't have one on a trip once, and were staying at an AI. On-site medical staff gave us two saline packs to put in our freezer, which worked wonderfully as substitutes.

Hey there,, you will be fine in checked luggage, I suggest freezing it first. We take them with us every trip. One day, we will not have to take them because we will be Bonaire residents full time :)

Whatever you do don't ask the airline. First they don't know, second it's the TSA that inspects your carryon & checked. TSA rules apply. The airline probably doesn't have a clue.

I checked TSA website and they are not clear.

TSA lists items that are prohibited in checked baggage. If it isn't on that list, and unless it's something completely unusual that they wouldn't have thought to list, it is not prohibited in checked baggage. Travelers quite commonly use gel packs in checked baggage to keep food items fresh. There are, for example, seafood companies on the coasts that will pack you seafood (e.g., lobsters) to take home, in a styrofoam cooler with gel packs. If you go fishing, you can take your catch home with you packed the same way. Nothing unusual at all about gel packs in checked baggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom