General question re: Weights in various environments and various mil wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am 6'2" and weigh 220 lbs. and am in pretty good shape.

When I dive in the Ocean in a 3mm full neoprene wetsuit I use a total of 15 lbs of weights. 5 lbs. in each of my front weight pockets and 5 more in the back of my BCD.

Next week I will be diving in a fresh water Quarry and will be wearing my 7mm full neoprene wetsuit.

Any general rule as to the amount of weight I'd need for the Quarry?

Thanks,

Sy

Your best bet will be to try out the new suit in familiar salt water first and get the weight right. Then subtract 2-1/2% of your total weight with gear off your weight belt when you move to fresh.

Otherwise, it is a quarry. Just stack some weight up where you can reach it from the water. Take enough off your belt so you know you're gonna float and then jump in and add weight until you can get down. I wouldn't add too much weight for an empty tank cuz you will likely purge some air out of the suit during the dive and 7mil neoprene doesn't uncompress instantly at the end of the dive so you lose some buoyancy.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Weight varies hugely person to person for lots of reasons, so a weight check is the best solution.

I can give you my numbers (I weigh exactly the same as you) which could be a starting point.
I dive 12lbs in a 3/2 in salt water.
I dive 16lbs in a 7/5 in fresh water (its a bit compressed from age)
My rough guess would be 20lbs (since you need +3 difference compared to me in s/w and the older 7/5 suit)

BTW: Max Speeds advice on not over weighting in a 7 mil due to compression is spot on.

Thanks to you and MAXSPEED for your feedback.

Sy

Weight varies hugely person to person for lots of reasons, so a weight check is the best solution.

I can give you my numbers (I weigh exactly the same as you) which could be a starting point.
I dive 12lbs in a 3/2 in salt water.
I dive 16lbs in a 7/5 in fresh water (its a bit compressed from age)
My rough guess would be 20lbs (since you need +3 difference compared to me in s/w and the older 7/5 suit)

BTW: Max Speeds advice on not over weighting in a 7 mil due to compression is spot on.

I used +8 lbs on my last quarry dive in 7mm fullsuit plus hood and gloves vs a 3/2 in saltwater and I definitely didn't need at least 2 of those lbs.

20 - 22 total weight is probably a pretty good starting point (as stated above)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom