Generator to power small Coltri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bucktail

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to power one of the smaller Coltri compressors with a 5.5 kw portable generator. For various reasons, I am not interested in a gasoline-powered compressor. Can anyone tell me whether the 5.5 kw generator will power the small Coltri? Also, I assume that the 230 volt Coltri version is superior to the 115 volt. Thanks.

To start a 3 hp driven compressor, straight up, will require a minimum generator size of 8Kw. A 2 hp = 6Kw. It doesn't matter whether you operate at 115v or 230v, the power requirement is still the same, i.e. 115 x 30 is the same as 230 x 15, start-up load requirement will be the same.

Craig

What's the reason for not wanting a gasoline or other fuel compressor? The generator will need gas.

There are a few reasons for not wanting a gasoline compressor. I plan on putting the compressor in a small shed and setting up a continuous blend system in there. Therefore, the gasoline exhaust will be a problem inside the shed. Also, I am concerned in general with carbon monoxide from a gasoline compressor. My original plan was to put an electric compressor indoors and put the generator outdoors, but it sounds like that may not be possible without significantly upgrading my generator.

It depends on the generator, if this 5500 watt generator is a typical hardware store cheap junk generator then probably not. If its a high quality industrial model, thats another matter, but they don't tend to be all that portable for their rated output, I have a "3KW: diesel powered military surplus generator in back yard that will run a 3HP electric motor on my Bauer Purus without a problem, but then again it is 3 phase and weighs in over 500 pounds.

Ike

Our electrical guru even says that with our soft start MarinePak version, 7kW is minimum for operation.

However, the home model 115 V draws 29 amps and has worked great for a lot of people by installing a 30 amp circuit. Maybe you can just run power from your box out to the shed and not fool with the generator.

Just a thought.

There are a few reasons for not wanting a gasoline compressor. I plan on putting the compressor in a small shed and setting up a continuous blend system in there. Therefore, the gasoline exhaust will be a problem inside the shed. Also, I am concerned in general with carbon monoxide from a gasoline compressor. My original plan was to put an electric compressor indoors and put the generator outdoors, but it sounds like that may not be possible without significantly upgrading my generator.

The best option is to wire the shed with a 30amp 240v subpanel. 50amps is basically the same cost & effort so if you'll ever get a larger compressor go for the larger conduit & wire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom