Genesis 7/8 UNF valve plug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiver07866

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have a set of 3500 PSI steel 100 with the older style 7/8 UNF neck (smaller size)

They are currently set up as doubles with right/left hand valves. I'm breaking them down into singles and need some help.

I found the right hand thread plug pretty easily... (with wheel on left.. just like a standard valve setup)
This is what it looks like..
GNSVP17.JPG

Genesis Right Hand Plug

I'm having trouble finding the left thread plug. LDS is kinda unsure... I 'borrowed' a plug and took it home today and it looks like it is not long enough..
It looks like this..
mvsplug-100.jpg

Is this the correct plug? or is this too short and the wrong one? It looks like it does not go deep enough. I can feel the one o-ring engage the valve, but not the other..

Thanks for the help
Rich

I did the same thing to mine (7/8 thread Genesis valves) and the both plugs look like the top pic, my LDS did it for me so I don't know where he got the plugs.

The second plug is from a Generic valve manufactured by various Italian manufacturers for their own lines. Some "brands" do buy this generic line and just "badge" it, but, its not the same manufacturer as the Genesis plug. That generic valve plug is manufactured by San-o-Sub in Italy (identifiable by the Green O-Rings).

Its probably best to get the correct part if you can, but if not, it could work, the thread is obviously the same, so measure the shaft length, diameter and the o-ring positioning, a fraction out on the o-ring positioning wont matter as long as they seal into the shaft. If both o-rings bed down and the plug screws down tight, it should be fine.

Thanks for the help everyone.... Yea.. the Generic one just is not long enough.. I measured it and only 1 o-ring is trapped in the barrel. It works... but..... :) I found another LDS that actually had the longer genesis plug so I snatched up 2 rights & 2 Lefts so I'm good.

Learned a ton about the 7/8 vs the 3/4 size also in my travels intresting stuff..along with a few other wonky sizes... 1/2 and M25 :)

KCBAR4.. thanks for the offer.. but this just temporary.. I will revert back to the doubles in the future.

Dive safe all

Back
Top Bottom