Question Genesis DPV - rig for nose clipping/towing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did some googling and I could not find any info about any of that.

But, that is okay. That is very similar in concept to what I was thinking about doing with the piece of hardware I showed an image of in my previous post. If I decide to go further with adding a leash, I'll probably just use a couple of those (in the picture I posted). Bonus: They only cost $1 each.
SubSea took over submerge. They will have a website up soone.

I used the little tacos and D rings like your photo for years until i swaped to the Annok this spring. I like the Annok as i dont need to chase the D ring around whan trying to clip the snap back on.

SubSea took over submerge. They will have a website up soone.

I used the little tacos and D rings like your photo for years until i swaped to the Annok this spring. I like the Annok as i dont need to chase the D ring around whan trying to clip the snap back on.

My thought is that I would use the tacos, but not put D-rings in them. I don't want to chase them around, either, and I don't like stuff that makes noise when it flops around.

The leash will have loops on both ends. The loop on one end will go through the slot in the taco, to attach the leash to the taco. The loop on the other end goes through a bolt snap, of course. A taco on the opposite side (or wherever) will have a loop of paracord tied through it to clip the bolt snap to when not using it. Again, no worries of chasing it around, really.

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe the bolt snap on the leash could clip directly to the slot on the taco and not even need a loop of paracord there at all. Probably not, though.

By looking at the photo I found online, the soft handle is secured by a large hose clamp. Do you have the same clamp on your scooter?
Gen-3.1.png

You can simply use a boltsnap and some paracord and secure it just like the lower attachment point on a sidemount tank. Make another bungee loop for clipping the boltsnap when you don't use it. Like the Suex one.
71415_04.jpg

By looking at the photo I found online, the soft handle is secured by a large hose clamp. Do you have the same clamp on your scooter?

You can simply use a boltsnap and some paracord and secure it just like the lower attachment point on a sidemount tank. Make another bungee loop for clipping the boltsnap when you don't use it. Like the Suex one.

Yes. Mine has the same hose clamp setup. And yes, that is the same thing tbone suggested a few posts back.

And yes, I may do something like that. That is what I was talking about with the idea of the "tacos" a few posts back.

I use tacos like that on my sidemount rigging, too. I like having only metal (encased in a webbing sheath) that is permanently attached to my cylinder (or scooter). Meaning, I don't like putting the cord with a bolt snap directly under the hose clamp. If I do that, and then need to change the cord, I first have to loosen the hose clamp.

I use a taco and then put the cord through the slot in the taco. That allows me to easily change the cord if needed without any tools or undoing the hose clamp at all. Among other reasons, I have found that repeatedly tightening and loosening the hose clamp will eventually cause the gear to strip and start to slip. I'd rather put it on, get it in the right spot, tighten it down good, and then just leave it (for as long as I can).

I made a handle for my BlackTip using a big hose clamp and some 2" webbing. It is VERY similar to the Suex handle. I'm working to find out if a hard handle from a Seacraft Ghost will fit on the Genesis. If it will fit, I'm going to put one of those on my Genesis and then figure out an attachment for a leash. If the Ghost handle doesn't fit, then I think I will make a handle like the one I made for my BlackTip and get rid of the standard Genesis one - and I will put on a couple of those tacos to attach a leash to.

Here's how I have rigged my Genesis 2.1. The G2.1 is finicky to trim. Everything at the nose has positive buoyancy apart from the hose clamp and the bolt snap. The webbing floats as does the double braided rope.

My Submerge Viper has a hard handle at the hose. However, I prefer holding it via a soft carry handle. Both of my DPVs have near identical setup. Viper has very stiff webbing and a different double braided rope. Viper is bigger/longer and its trim/buoyancy isn't effected by the additional hardware.

Attachments

• 20230904_204621.jpg
    20230904_204621.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230904_204701.jpg
    20230904_204701.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230904_204733.jpg
    20230904_204733.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230904_204804.jpg
    20230904_204804.jpg