Subgravity vs. Genesis dpv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Clark Diving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am looking at dpvs to use on a coral nursery project. We are installing a nursery about half a mile from shore and will have no boat support. We will be searching for amd collecting source corals up to two miles from our entry point. I am looking for something with at least four mile range that can tow divers with multiple cylinders plus nursery gear. It also has to be easily transported and fairly robust since interns will be using them for shore entry. People in our agency like Subgravity Ecos but I haven’t found much on Scubaboard about them. I’m leaning towards Genesis 3.1 because they get great reviews here. I also love the charging port since it would limit the need for interns to open the unit. However, I have never handled either unit. Any thoughts about which might work better for our project? Or other units I should consider? Thanks!

I am looking at dpvs to use on a coral nursery project. We are installing a nursery about half a mile from shore and will have no boat support. We will be searching for amd collecting source corals up to two miles from our entry point. I am looking for something with at least four mile range that can tow divers with multiple cylinders plus nursery gear. It also has to be easily transported and fairly robust since interns will be using them for shore entry. People in our agency like Subgravity Ecos but I haven’t found much on Scubaboard about them. I’m leaning towards Genesis 3.1 because they get great reviews here. I also love the charging port since it would limit the need for interns to open the unit. However, I have never handled either unit. Any thoughts about which might work better for our project? Or other units I should consider? Thanks!
Be careful, the scooter manufacturer Bonex (Subgravity in the US) is not doing well at all. Here in Europe, many resell their scooter of this brand.

Thanks for the heads up. That may explain why I have had a hard time getting products from them. I’ll add another option, any reason to go with the Genesis vs. Seacraft Future? They all seem to be about the same caliber, although people still seem to lean towards the Genesis for some reason. Are there any big differences to be aware of?

I have an older Genesis and I can unreservedly recommend them. Extremely robust and the newer ones with Warp Core are easily flown with.
The constantly variable speed control makes them really easy to hover in place in current as well which might be part of your requirements.

If I had a complaint it would be that switching hands isn't the easiest and neither is running with both hands on the handle but I get around this by lightly placing my left on the shroud.

If you are looking for a scooter to handle getting to spot that is 2 miles from your entry, I would be looking for a scooter with 6 miles or more of range. 2 miles to get there, 2 miles to get back, and 2 miles of reserve capacity.

There is a sticky thread in this subforum that details many key specifications and features of several scooters, including the Genesis 3.1 and the Future 1000.

For your usage, I would suggest that the much higher cost of replacing all the batteries (eventually) in the Future is one reason to favor the Genesis.

Also, the anecotes shared with me suggest that a Genesis will be much lower maintenance.

Also, for shore entries, the smaller size and lighter weight of the Genesis may be an important advantage to you. Getting in and out of a shore entry is more and more difficult as the size and weight of the scooter increases.

Back
Top Bottom