Geocaching for Divers - Any Interest?

Is underwater Geocaching something you would participate in?

• Yes, Absolutely, Count me In

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • No, Sounds Like a Bad Idea

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Perhaps, but I Don't Know Anything About It

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • You Stole My Idea, I'm Sending Hate Mail With My Website Address to Prove it

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would this work logistically? I don't know of any GPS systems that work underwater.

The key phrase in the definition for me is "and other navigational techniques" which would mean GPS coordinates to get you to the shore entry point or mooring location, then other descriptors to help you find the cache.

DEMA actually had a "dive caching" thing going a few years ago (2011-2012). It was one of their attempts to pacify those of us who were trying to get them to focus more on local diving and not so much on travel. DEMA president at the time had a board member call me and point it out to try and get me to stop criticizing their lack of support for local diving. Didn't work.

They came up with it. Marketed it to shops, and then abandoned it. They expected the shops to take over the project completely. That went over like a lead balloon.

ISTR a group on Bonaire couple of years ago mentioning Hilma Hooker has a cache.

I have a col ideas for places to hide a cache for divers but may I suggest placing a cache that is retrievable with a snorkel and maybe place it no deeper then 15 20 feet

Instead of geocaching, I think a treasure hunt type event would be more fun and would be a great business decision for a dive company/shop.

La Jolla Cove would be a really good location for this. Hide 3 little treasure chests underwater the night before. Put a GoPro in one, a card for 20 free airfills at the local shop in one, and a restaurant gift card in one. Advertise it all over social media and at the local dive shops and you'd get a great turnout. Then the company could do a BBQ or something at the park up the stairs for everyone finishing their dives (and people walking by).

It would be a fun event for divers and would have a great turnout (giving back to the community), would allow for great brand advertising, would let you look giving and community orientated all over social media, and would let you advertise to uncertified, potential divers stopping by for a free burger.

Many of the places we dive are marine parks. "They" are not keen on having people take or leave anything.

True that. I've been reading the Geocaching website, and they have a lot of rules about proper placement of caches, including not breaking rules, not damaging anything, being environmentally conscious, etc. If your cache doesn't meet standards, they won't post it. Good point, though.

I'm an avid geocacher. When I started diving here in Okinawa, I noticed there weren't any underwater caches. So I placed three of them. Instructors like to take their students to them and they write their names on the log, but hardly anyone creates a geocaching account and log them online.

I run a dive club in CT and we just started a network of 15 underwater geocaches here in CT and RI. I have to finish updating the portion of the website that lists them all but the remainder are going out this weekend with different people.

Underwater Geocaching - Explore Local Sites with SECONN Skin Divers

The wrecks are easy, you have the coordinates for them and maybe a hint on where to find them

The shore based ones, include the location of the entry plus compass headings and swim times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom