Getting back to diving after a break, what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am scared to think the prices you could be quoted to inspect a BCD it should be free if you are getting your regs serviced and a refresher from the dive shop but thats how I would run my shop ymmv.

To inspect a BCD Look over the outside for cuts broken parts and any dry-rot then I would blow it up with the inflator make sure all the dumps open and close properly and dunk the power inflator to check that the inflator doesnt leak. After that I would stand it in the corner fully inflated overnight if it looses air then something is leaking and would need to be dunked to see where it was leaking.

Other than that a good test dive with your gear should be included in the refresher course to fully test you and your gear (pool or very benign conditions preferably).

As well as standing it overnight, using a bath full of water would also suffice for checking it so long as you can immerse every part at some time. Also using a soapy solution sprayed on it can be a good indication as any air will be caught in bubbles.

Another thing you could do is maybe skip the refresher and do a buoyancy class. For padi it's called Peak Performance I think- it's not hard at all. You'll get more time in the pool to get comfortable while working on some buoyancy and trim. Just tell the instructor you've been out of the water a couple of years and he may very well be willing to quickly go over buddy check, mask clearing etc with you anyway. You'll get a padi speciality under your belt which might be useful if you want to go further, but it's pretty helpful regardless.

Sounds like all the bases are covered gear-wise. After a break in diving, my challenge is always to remember the procedures. The dive plan, the buddy check, how to put the gear together, how to use the computer, etc. etc. You will be getting all that in your refresher course, I would assume.

I rely on a spreadsheet that lists all the dozens of things we'll need for the trip, and a list giving our weighting requirements depending on the gear we'll be using.

When we travel to a dive site we are often using different wetsuit configurations. I try to make it a rule to do a checkout dive before the real diving starts, to shake out the bugs and make sure my weighting and buoyancy are okay.

If you haven't already done so, check out the forums here on SB for your dive destination. There is lots of valuable input there.

Good luck to you, Buton. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Inspect the gear yourself. The regs can be put on the tanks you have (in or out of vis) and tested out of the water, or if you're feeling special do it in a tub/pool as well. If they're working and they've been stored in a clean/dry place that is environmentally controlled -- not a garage) then they're not likely to need any service. BCD inspections should never be paid for by anyone. Check the inflator yourself, if it's inflating and there are no issues, then it's good. Check the dump valves. If they dump air and don't get stuck, they're good. Check for frayed nylon on webbing and make sure your weight pockets (if you have them) still function properly. Then you're done.

Take your tanks in for new vis the next time they need to be filled and go take your refresher. Don't throw good money away just because you haven't used your gear in a couple of years. If it was serviced and then not used, it is highly unlikely to need servicing again. 2 1/2 years really isn't that long unless it was sitting outside in the elements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom