Getting First Deco Stop with GF-Lo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFX

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm working on a spreadsheet to display TC pressures and other dive data. I need to calculate the first deco stop based on GF-Lo. I saw this equation from Erik Baker's paper "Clearing up the confusion about deep stops":

Tol. Depth = [P - (Psb + GF x (Mo - Psb))] / (dM x GF - GF + 1)

Tol. Depth = tolerated depth.
I think the P is the pressure of the controlling TC. Is this correct?
I think Psb is the surface pressure absolute. is this correct?

By plugging in GF-Lo for GF and the values for the other variables, Tol. Depth will give me the depth of the first deco stop. Is this correct? If not, is there another equation I can use?

BTW, I'll post the SS in SB when I get it finished.

I have a proposal. I made a spreadsheet that does pure buhlmann without any modifications. I did this to show advanced students how the model works. It's rough but it gets the message across. What it is missing is ascents.

I'm willing to share it with you. Many of the calculations you need are in there and I simplified the math as much as I could. If you have an kind of math background you'll be able to decypher it and relate it back to the source documents including Baker's paper. That should allow you to focus on the ascent thing you're working on without having to spend a lot of time making the model work before you get to that.

Condition would be that you send me back your enhancements when you're done.

Is that an idea?

Agreed. Thanks.

Last edited:
The equation I posted above does work in calculating the first deco stop based on GFLo. Thank you Diver0001 for your ss. I now have all I need to calculate an ascent schedule. I'll post the ss here on SB when I get it finished.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom