Getting Forced to Bottom of Page while in Forums?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as to whether anyone who's running AdBlock is having this problem. I have it on Chrome, with Windows 7, and have not experienced what you're describing.

I will return to Scuba board when this is fixed. Board is unusable as is.

Just curious as to whether anyone who's running AdBlock is having this problem. I have it on Chrome, with Windows 7, and have not experienced what you're describing.

I'm running Adblock Plus with Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 and I'm not experiencing this problem. I'm not seeing any ads at all.

Ron

Same here on Chrome in Windows 8.

Renders SB absolutely unusable.

256,874 registered users eagerly await your return.

:(

OMG... Such pressure. I have to fix this for 250k people, or for the 5 people here who are reporting a problem?? With the activity level on the site remaining pretty constant, I don't think that all members are having problems, just SOME members...

With that said, I do want to resolve this for those who are having problems. HOWEVER:

As stated before. Without specific details on the ads that are causing problems, I can't fix something that I can't see without knowing SPECIFIC DETAILS.

For me (and I see ads on my screen) - I am not experiencing this problem which is making the board "totally un-usable"

In other posts, I made a suggestion to adjust Chrome settings to prevent this, yet I don't think anyone did that? It perplexes me that users would rather post complaints than try to adjust their own setting to something that should resolve the issue on all websites, and not just scubaboard??

---

If SOMEONE can post the destination URL of these offending ads, the specific ad network (you can sometimes tell by mousing over the ad) or more details, then I can block those ads.

There is no option to just blanket block all video ads.

Additionally, turning off the ads would be up to NetDoc. I don't think he'll want to stop the principal source of revenue for this site to be shut down. There wouldn't be a site without the ads. This site is pretty much 99% advertiser supported (1% for supporting members).

So... For me to resolve this (no matter how much people complain or post that they too are having this problem) is ONLY to know which ads are causing issues.

Thanks for the help here

OMG... Such pressure. I have to fix this for 250k people, or for the 5 people here who are reporting a problem??

For each of the five people reporting a problem... how many might you think are EXPERIENCING the problem?

Of those that are experiencing it, how many might you think are putting up with it vs saying "**** it" and leaving the site?

Trying not to be a complainer (hell, it would be easier to block all ad, but I don't do that since it IS ScubaBoard's source of revenue) but the way this current issue impact the UX is horrible. It doesn't just bring you to the bottom of the page... it pulls you down repeatedly. As fast as you can scroll back up it pulls you back down.

GREENIES® PILL POCKETS® Treats for Dogs | GREENIES® Dog Treats | Greenies.com

In other posts, I made a suggestion to adjust Chrome settings to prevent this, yet I don't think anyone did that? It perplexes me that users would rather post complaints than try to adjust their own setting to something that should resolve the issue on all websites, and not just scubaboard??

For whatever reason, I didn't seem to have the problem on other sites. I tried your fix from post #16 and have not had the problem since. I never reported the problem because you already had a fix up. If it rears it's ugly head again I'll let you know.

Thanks

Bob

Just happened to me. Immediately added ad blocker to chrome and it's gone. No more ads actually, which is cool since my subscription runs out this month and I'd start seeing more of them.

Ok. Greenies.com is now blocked from advertising on ScubaBoard.

If anyone else provides useful information, I'll do my best to remove those offending ads as well.

As previously stated... my solution (to change your browser settings) will prevent this from happening on any site that serves Google ads. There are similar fixes for other browsers as well.

Thanks.

I am browsing the site from home, using Chrome but on my mac with OS Mavericks. The video add on the bottom right is still there, but no problem so far.

Howard, thanks for all your effort trying to figure this out. I will try the fix on my windows computer tomorrow, if the problem is still there.

Ok. Greenies.com is now blocked from advertising on ScubaBoard.

If anyone else provides useful information, I'll do my best to remove those offending ads as well.

As previously stated... my solution (to change your browser settings) will prevent this from happening on any site that serves Google ads. There are similar fixes for other browsers as well.

Thanks.

Thanks Howard!

Just as an FYI, whatever was causing the issues with that particular ad, the problem I was describing only occurred on ScubaBoard.

Most folks have experienced pop-ups that were annoying at times, but this was something different. Hard to describe until you see it for yourself, but it at first seemed that I was having a keyboard problem, like maybe the Page Down key was "sticking".

Note: Based on your advice, I have now enabled Adblock Plus for Firefox; thanks for that suggestion!

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom