Getting gear into Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
In the past I have bought some gear off the net and ebay from the states; some of it has come with no problems, a couple of times ive been slapped with a hefty duty fee. Generally I always tell the shop to send it as a gift without the sales slip, but they dont always do this. Just wondering if anyone has ordered a dive knife on the net before and if they had any problems at the border? With all the new legislation, im wondering if customs might be weary of letting a dagger get through!? Also - anyone have problems strapping a knife on with a bag dry-suit? I was wondering what the implications of this would be...

Not exactly germane, but here is my tale about bringing SCUBA gear into Canada.

It's December 1976 and I have just moved from Florida to Chicago. Don't ask why. I drove to visit a friend in Ontario and at the border, my auto was searched. I couldn't get the trunk open, so naturally, the Canadian border guards were suspicious. When I unfroze the lock and opened the trunk, there, of course, was all my gear.

The guards wanted me to post a cash bond; they couldn't understand why anyone would bring SCUBA gear into Canada in December except to sell it. I still had my FL tag and licence, so I pointed this out to the guards and told them that, as a Floridian, I always kept my gear in the car because I never knew when I might godiving. I showed them that the gear was all used.

Well, they let me go with a warning that I had better bring all the gear out with me. No fuss, no bond.

Now when I travel, I bring an inventory list with me. It saves possible trouble.

That was 1976. I wouldn't sweat it today.

I routinely cross the US border with a car/van full to the brim with scuba gear - whether it's July or January. Never had a problem.

As for purchasing new gear over the 'net, remember the golden rule for Canadians... never EVER get anything sent UPS.

I recently learned the tax exemption on gifts is limited to a value of $60 Canadian, something to consider when ordering online. I've had a manifold valued at $150 US slide right through but also been snagged for an $85 item another time. Always a crap shoot. Happy dives,
Michael

Ahh I see you have also had a problem with UPS?? I ordered a dive light from the states and it was shipped UPS, the item only cost me 35 bucks, but the duty and transaction fee was $37?! Go figure... Never had this problem with items delivered from purolator or other directed through Canada post.

Gee,

I came in and out of the country with a Mustang loaded down by:

numerous dive bags
One set of doubles (HP 100's)
two 120's with H-Valves
six eighties
a stage properly labeled as a high O2 mix

and US Customs gave me the fifth degree! Get this: The one guy wanted to know what possible use a laptop computer would be for diving. (He obviously wasn't aware of dive planning or the downloading of dive computer information.) He also asked me if it wouldn't be easier to buy a compressor than carry all of those tanks (joking by that time) after he inquired what use I would have for an Oxygen Analyzer (not joking).

Typically customs doesn't give me that many problems though. Dive gear is not always familar, so it may get checked more often than other items in a shipment. This may lead to the issues that you see.

When you buy stuff in the US and need it shipped to Canada, the best bet is to have the shipper value the goods for $60CAN or under (as already mentioned above) to avoid the customs charges, but then get insurance for the ACTUAL value of the part just in case it gets lost or damaged.

That way you win both ways, you wont get dinged for duty fees and still be protected in case of a problem. Also try to avoid UPS, since they are more stringent on the rules, FedEx or even Canada/US post is good.

Always works/worked for me!

Tamas:
When you buy stuff in the US and need it shipped to Canada, the best bet is to have the shipper value the goods for $60CAN or under (as already mentioned above) to avoid the customs charges, but then get insurance for the ACTUAL value of the part just in case it gets lost or damaged.

This sounds like a great idea but perhaps I'm missing something. Whenever I've shipped anything and obtained insurance, the insurance is always provided by the shipper. If the shipper values the item at $60 how can the shipper also value the item higher for insurance purposes?

Thunderball007:
In the past I have bought some gear off the net and ebay from the states; some of it has come with no problems, a couple of times ive been slapped with a hefty duty fee. Generally I always tell the shop to send it as a gift without the sales slip, but they dont always do this. .

Not that I don't sympathize with your cause, but if I was a store owner I would not LIE to a federal agency (customs) when filling out a legal document. If buying from an individual off ebay it might be something you could sort out before bidding.

question: "are you willing to declare this item a gift on the customs voucher?"
question: "can you ship ANY method other than UPS?"

just remember anything you say in writing is hard to deny later.

Under Michael:
This sounds like a great idea but perhaps I'm missing something. Whenever I've shipped anything and obtained insurance, the insurance is always provided by the shipper. If the shipper values the item at $60 how can the shipper also value the item higher for insurance purposes?

The insurance is purchased at the full face value of the unit, but when shipped the shipper can dictate what description and what price he/she declares. Also if it is shipped as personal goods or as a gift, that value is not that much of an issue. You just have to ask and talk to the shipper to do this.

wedivebc:
Not that I don't sympathize with your cause, but if I was a store owner I would not LIE to a federal agency (customs) when filling out a legal document. If buying from an individual off ebay it might be something you could sort out before bidding.

question: "are you willing to declare this item a gift on the customs voucher?"
question: "can you ship ANY method other than UPS?"

just remember anything you say in writing is hard to deny later.

it's not lying but rather changing the rules in one's favour! as far as the shipper is concerned this could be a gift going to a third party in which case the actual value of the unit is not to be known. almost all vendors will do this to avoid loosing sales across the border since with NAFTA we got the short end of the stick. also the bloody feds are not going to nit-pick with a small order but rather they guys that ship tonnes and tonnes at a time. but, I guess it's your choice to do as you wish and save your money any way, shape or form

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom