Getting gear into Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunderball007:
I just checked out that link - that $20 limit is actually for purchased goods, i guess for any amount less then that it is not worth the administrative time to collect the taxes... If you go a couple of paragraphs below that, it states that the exemption for gifts being mailed into the country is a whopping $60.00. (Since when is paying tax, on an item that has already been taxed fair!?) So I think its about time to buy myself an early Birthday "gift"!

If you buy it for yourself it's not legally a gift. Now if you bought it and sent it to me, it would be a gift. :eyebrow:

And I spoke to an LDS yesterday, they would not recommend strapping a dive knife on the leg of a drysuit, especially a shell suit. And have you considered the effect of a 1lb weight on the outside of one leg?

Groundhog246:
And I spoke to an LDS yesterday, they would not recommend strapping a dive knife on the leg of a drysuit, especially a shell suit. And have you considered the effect of a 1lb weight on the outside of one leg?

No offense, but a dive knife weighing a pound? Exhaggerating just a leeetle bit, methinks.

As for not strapping it to the leg of a drysuit? That's a new one for me too.

Hmmm....

I have an older US Divers knife, the one with the big orange handle and the tang runs through to a post at the top for a banger. I'm not exagerating at all at a pound, it's probably slightly over that. I dive with a guy last summer who had lost a 1.5lb ankle weight and was using the same knife as a temp substitute. Will try and locate it this evening and put it on the kitchen scale.

As for strapping on a shell DS, that was an LDS, not me. I think they were worried about nicking the material trying to put it back or similar, rather than just wear on the suit. I'd have concerns about getting air into the boots to offset squeeze, or worse, getting it back out on ascent.

Groundhog246:

New to me too. I have a Bare NexGen with DiveRite gaiters on the legs. While I use snips and a small BC knife now, I have in the past strapped a knife (one made in this century :wink: ) to the outside of the gaiters with no problems.

On the whole, I think it poses a greater hazzard as a potential snag, but not a real problem for balance or air trapping.

darkstar:
New to me too. I have a Bare NexGen with DiveRite gaiters on the legs. While I use snips and a small BC knife now, I have in the past strapped a knife (one made in this century :wink: ) to the outside of the gaiters with no problems.

On the whole, I think it poses a greater hazzard as a potential snag, but not a real problem for balance or air trapping.

Funny you should mention that, I also have a NexGen suit. I have only ever experienced a problem once of excess air in the legs/boot on acsent, but instead of getting the gaiters, I thought I might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone with the knife (for one leg anyway). I thought the straps of the knife would actually prevent any air from traveling beyond the straps, making the gaitors redundant.

The knife I am looking at is the Tusa Imprex- http://www.tusa.co.za/Tusa/Catalogue/Knives/fk-210.htm Only concearn I have is the locking mechanism/button that holds it in the sheith, and wether or not it might become dislodged if you happen to bump it on something.

That's not so big as I pictured from your earlier posts. I'd go with the FK-220 though. I've never found a need for a sharp point on a dive knife. The blunt tip is safer (less likely to puncture your suit trying to put it back) and the chisel tip is far superior for prying. It's also less likely to be considered a weapon.
My wife and I carry ones very similar to the FK-840 (ours have a 3" blade), fastened inverted (handle down) to our BC's for the last 2 years (about 80 dives for me and 50 for her) and have never lost one.

Thunderball007:
Funny you should mention that, I also have a NexGen suit. I have only ever experienced a problem once of excess air in the legs/boot on acsent, but instead of getting the gaiters, I thought I might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone with the knife (for one leg anyway). I thought the straps of the knife would actually prevent any air from traveling beyond the straps, making the gaitors redundant.

I got the gaiters because I was doing some photography and found that my balance was off when I was inverted. I don't think that a knife strap would give the same effect because the gaiters compress along the whole calf, and not just in one or two places. If you're not hanging around upside down, then gaiters are probably a hassle and expense you don't need.

I agree with groundhog on the knife. I find the blunt tip ones more useful.

I would make a few recommendations in this regard:

1) Declare your goods properly and ensure the exporter declares the goods properly. The duty is yours to ensure the accuracy of the declaration and to make an adjustment if the incorrect duty has been levied. (not the person who sent the item) Declaring something as a gift (or having someone else do it) can land you in a lot of trouble and is a contravention of the Customs Act.

2) Do not use a customs broker to clear your goods. (ie UPS, etc.) Do it yourself or ensure that the exporter uses the postal service. Canada Post charges you $5 to clear the goods on your behalf. The last time UPS cleared goods (worth about $100) they charged me $40 to broker the goods.... What a fight that was.

3) Purchase goods while you are travelling to the US (or elsewhere) and ship them to Canada.(if they don't have any in stock or you are unable to take them with you) You can ask the customs agent for a E24 (they may offer you one if you fill out your card indicating Goods to Follow). This allows you to use your exemption to bring the goods in duty and tax free.

Hope this helps,

Paul

pjomm:
3) Purchase goods while you are travelling to the US (or elsewhere) and ship them to Canada.(if they don't have any in stock or you are unable to take them with you) You can ask the customs agent for a E24 (they may offer you one if you fill out your card indicating Goods to Follow). This allows you to use your exemption to bring the goods in duty and tax free.
Paul

I wasn't aware of this option...thanks for sharing.

Sean P

Thunderball007:
Wow, ask a little question and look what I have started! That one went off on quite the tangent... But for the record, after looking at my income tax return and seeing how MUCH I have paid in bloody income tax, i certainly don't have a problem bending the rules on this one.

Back to the original question though, I was more concearned about customs letting a knife in though, I believe its legal if the blade is less then 6" or something? Anyone know the specifics on this?
In terms of knives - Customs is interested in prohibited, restricted, controlled items and the potential duty and/or taxes. Most dive knives are not going to cause concern and can be imported.

Hope this helps,

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom