Getting Plan "B" in place for diving the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hoping to hook up (ie., crash at his place and buddy up with) a friend from Lauderdale for a few days of diving in January down in the Keys.
Just in case that falls through, looking to fly into Lauderdale, rent a car, drive down and pitch a tent somewhere (hopefully a state park close to a dive shop).
I'm looking for recommendations where to camp, what dive shops are close by.
I'm on a bit of a budget so shore diving would be nice as well though I'd like to do a few boat dives.
Where to rent tanks, schedule a two tanker boat trip,maybe scare up a buddy for a few shore dives.
I might even consider doing a rescue course if the cost isn't too prohibitive.
They run about $250. to $300. at home so I wouldn't spend more than that.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Almost forgot, I have AOW,Nitrox certs

OK, plan "C".
Stay in Lauderdale, find a place to camp there and dive there.
I didn't realize it was a gazillion hour drive for lauderdale to the keys.

You should be able to camp in Markem park (not sure on spelling).
Shore diving is possible in Pompano and other places I'm sure.

No shore diving in the keys really so that's good you aren't going there.

If you are really bold you can just grab a sleeping bag and sleep on the beach. I've done that many times when I lived down there. Assuming the weather cooperates of course :wink:

Huh? You think that 80 minutes is a gazillion mile drive to the Keys? I live near FLL and owned a home in Key Largo for a while, it was 80 minutes door-to-door. I know people who spend more time on their daily commute. Heck, when I was still instructing we would take folks down there for the afternoon for their checkout dives, eat dinner, and come back.
If you are really bold you can just grab a sleeping bag and sleep on the beach. I've done that many times when I lived down there.
So says the person who just posted on another thread that we have crime everywhere. :shakehead: Sleeping on the beach? No wonder you have that attitude. I disagree heartily with your "crime everywhere" statement, but sleeping on the beach at night is just plain crazy.

I don't know of any campgrounds "close to" dive shops but you'll pass them on the way to the beach or boat anyway. Markham Park is waaaaaaaay out west and you appear to hate driving. TY and Easterlin Parks are further east. Broward County - Parks and Recreation Division

If you are looking for a campground in Key Largo, try Pennekamp---you usually need reservations, but they have a fair amount of no-shows....so you may be able to get one of their spots. Then there is "Kings Kamp" at MM 103.6 bayside.

Plan "D"
1 Camp at the park in Key Largo
2 All the dive shops offer discounts if you buy multi trip tickets.

There is definitely nothing wrong with staying in Lauderdale & shore diving.
We were there in June, hooked up with divergirl4u, & had a great night dive. Would have loved to stay & do some more, but had already booked some trips in the Keys.
The drive wasn't that bad, but I also drove 14 hours from Va. Beach to Lauderdale.
Next time we hit Florida I believe we will stay in Lauderdale & try some of the charters offered, but will definitely be doing some more shore diving. Can't beat the price.

90 min from rental car area in FLL to Key Largo. A few more min to Pennekamp State Park which has its own dive op. Or, you can use any of the other 6-12 or more dive ops within 5 min of Pennekamp. No shore diving without a swim of a few miles. Multi-trip dive packages really save money. But, the diving of Ft. Lauderdale may suit you just as well and if you have free housing, that will be a better deal.

Right now it all depends on what my buddy is doing.
If he's not available, I'll drive down to Largo since it seems to be the closest and best diving in the Keys.Besides, I have to take the obligatory photos of the Christ Statue for my album.
But I'd really like to dive Lauderdale as well.

Right now it all depends on what my buddy is doing.
If he's not available, I'll drive down to Largo since it seems to be the closest and best diving in the Keys.Besides, I have to take the obligatory photos of the Christ Statue for my album.
But I'd really like to dive Lauderdale as well.

When will you be in Key Largo? I'll be there Jan 8 thru Jan 12. Flying into Ft Myers (free airfare!) and driving down that evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom