getting ready to buy a new light... focus or flare????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI - Latest specs and pricing for the new products is now on our website. Still working on the quality photos, we'll get there soon I promise!

Thanks I am on there now. Looking at the ld35. Or maybe the 6000 lumen? I don't want to drown out the team!

Forget 6000 Lumens :) See here why: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...tight-beam-mostly-pnw-diving.html#post7265305

Btw, in my option, all diving lights with LED and wattage above 25W are a misleading way. LED should be more efficient that HIDs and they do not get brighter just by pushing more energy into more emitters! It is a misbelief, that high wattage means high brightness in term of Lux. Brighness only have to do with the size of the lighthead and its light system efficiency. I own a 3W diving light blowing all 30-40W LEDs out of the water - BUT the hotspot is much smaller! Some more energy only mean bigger hotspot, not better penetration! Even more, with too much light and the wrong distribution with high backscatter the light is blending you and you see - nothing. :) So keep this in mind when choosing your light ;-)
Best to do is test driving it!

I saw the Focus last week Wednesday at Hollywood Divers; next day I cruised down to UTD HQ San Diego and bought the V35 instead.

Tried the cordless configuration today Monday in Truk, on the Kiyosumi Maru wreck around 12 to 33m deep; nice tight hot spot with good peripheral/concentric halo. Like not having to futz with a cord (i.e. no need to worry about routing a cord under the long-hose and easy to switch hands); easy to hold and point to illuminate at all angles (oblique & acute) & wrist rotations. Good to have for Z-system sidemount -no mounting external battery canister on waist belt in back and having to route a cord around to front & under the long hose. . .

Kevrumbo have you dove it in Cali waters? How long did the cordless configuration last burn time?

Kevrumbo have you dove it in Cali waters? How long did the cordless configuration last burn time?
No, first time use was here in the heat & humidity of Truk Lagoon. Cordless battery lasted 150 minutes over two separate dives on two consecutive days (yesterday on the Kiyosumi Maru Freighter and today on the Shinkoku Maru Tanker where it shut-off at around 70 minutes). Advertised burn-time for cordless is 180 min (3 hrs) on high beam.

Battery voltage measured 9.9 Vdc; a full charge measured 12.6 Vdc.

I am looking at ordering a new focus or flare on Monday. what is the go to light? it was easy last time I purchased one was late 90's I got an 18watt hid with a 9 ah battery and I still have it so I am going to upgrade. I have never realy needed to focus my light its a set it and forget thing the flare looks a lot more compact I just want to know what are others buying? do you wish you had bought the other one?
imagejpeg

Be advised: The new Halcyon Focus/Flare Primary LED Lights that have this sealing gland/strain relief --see attached jpg-- are showing premature abrasion/cuts on the cord where it feeds through. The inside edges of the "Spiral" are sharp and will cut upon repeated cord flexion, especially if the cord is of a smaller diameter (i.e. has "wiggle" room feeding through the spirals).

(I saw this at Hollywood Divers Scuba Shop here in Southern California, where they've been receiving canister units for repair with these particular glands. . .)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom